What the US is doing about Human Rights.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spencerwatts, Jul 31, 2005.

1. spencerwatts macrumors newbie

I'm doing a report for school (yeah, I know. It's Summer :mad: ). One of the questions has to do with Human Rights, and I would like part of my answer to be what the US is doing to help other countries with human rights problems. If you would be so kind as to push me in the right direction, I would be forever in your debt.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

3. spencerwatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that helped with an aspect of the report. :D

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

According to my political science teacher, the United States is the greatest violator of International Law.

And yes, this is my political science teacher in the US.

6. humantech macrumors member

Why not Ask a soldier who has been in some of our forward deployments

Hi- In the interest of making sure you are balanced and informed , why not ask a soldier who has been in other countries Recently. For those folks who dont think we are doing things to advance human rights, ask someone who has first hand knowledge. Dont rely on the news, nor on the government websites, nor on michael moore, nor on Bill oreilly. ASK SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THERE FIRST-HAND.
    And before people mouth off about how terrible the US is in human rights, perhaps it would be better if they forearmed themselves with the above knowledge ( first hand sources that dont get paid for sensational, anti-us stories) , and take a look at what other countries do for their civil rights ( For example, take a look at what " oh so loveable" france is doing to its muslim community..... In addition, take a look at what terrorists currently called " insurgents" do for human rights ( Sure , decaptiation and randomly blowing up children is bad, but its not like panties being put on someones head) -
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Human rights excel when we as a nation and individually say "Enough is enough" -
    I would present that liberating iraq, and liberating afghanistan , and donating more money to africa than anyone else, and defending europe for 50 years + and defending japan and korea for 50+ years qualifies for " advancing human rights"

As always- my 2cents- Isnt it great to be able to say things in your country ( even bad things about your country) without fear that you will disappear in the night because the government is displaeased with you?

Tech

7. humantech macrumors member

Ask your polysci instructor when

the last time he was abroad in a foreign nation that had little or no human rights protection. Hmm? Again- the goal is to be well balanced and informed. Know the truth students, know the truth- Dont take what your teachers tell you as gospel friends. Its fairly known fact that most teachers share an extremly limited world view currently - some people call it liberal, some call it " Anti u.s" - some call it " Anti Christian" Or "anti majority"-
    doesnt matter what you call it- Its basically a single point of view- As you grow older, you need to see more sides of a picture- For example. Is the US record on human rights as bad as say , hmm north korea who routinely lets it people starve to death and exectues them for practicing their own religious beliefs? What about most of the wild african nations where thousands are routinely raped and slaughtered?
    Guys, I'm not telling you that you are wrong- I am telling you to question authority and look up your own information. Dont rely on one source, EVER-
    As always- my 2 cents-
    Tech

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

9. spencerwatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. I love it when people pour thier opinions to me. I like them. Not exactly what I was looking for (More like what the US is doing, even if barely, to help other countries.)

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. :)

10. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

First off - you've used "liberal" as a synonym for "anti-us" or "anti-christian" - I'll refer you to follow your own advice and look up what is meant by "liberal" in a political context. Most teachers share a limited world view? Hmm. The people with the advanced degrees that have reviewed original sources, amalgamated works, often tend to incorporate travel into that research, keep up on current events, etc. - these are the ones with the limited world view?

Now, it may bother you that the areas of the country with the folks that have higher concentrations of advanced degrees are blue states, but that's hardly a reason to conclude that the educated have a limited world view. Perhaps it's a differnt world view? Perhaps it's even a much better informed world view - understanding the reasons for this or that.

Now on the US - one of the reasons that the US gets criticised is not for direct actions of the US within the boaders of the US, but for policies that support governments like Saudi Arabi, or even Iraq. Recall Rumsfeld had his picture taken with Saddam on a few trips in the 1980s when we were using the relatively secular Iraq as a means to counter Iran's influence in the region. That was a time of oppression of minorities in Iraq as well, so didn't bode well for the US. Yes, there are reasons why the US is criticised for actions or inaction within its boarders as well - poverty and hunger/malnutrition, access to health care, to education, and similar social human rights issues.

On N. Korea and Africa - with regard to the latter, yes terrible, can the US help to stop atrocities? Re N. Korea - there's a nutty country all right, but China has policies that lead to peasants working themselves to death, famine, religious oppression, etc. - except they make stuff for Wal Mart (and just about everyone) cheap and have a massive military, so let's give them "most favored nation" status; this would be another example of a policy that the US get's criticised for in its human rights record.

BTW - love the inland northwest Humantech - (I've always thought of it as in from the Cascade mtns for those of you not familiar - so Ellensburg, or Walla Walla, or Spokane, of Pullman/Moscow, Columibia river valley are all inland northwest areas - the Pallouse is really lovely)

11. humantech macrumors member

oopsie- long winded tech

Ah- Sorry-
    Let me give you iinformation that may be closer to what you may need for your report-
    How about after the liberation of afghanistan, women can now vote and go to school?
    How about in Iraq, they had their first democratic election since the violent overthrow in which Sadaam took power - There is no longer a genocidal campaign to wipe out a portion of their popluation. There is no longer torture allowed ( Doesnt mean the thugs arent still doing it, its just that now, the country and our forces are mopping them up when they do )

look here- the US is a sponsor http://hrw.org/about/faq/

http://www.usaid.gov/ - Humanitarian aid ( I would argue that being able to eat and survive because the US is helping is a BASIC human right.)

Again- these are basic places to start- To do a truly good report, you need to call a soldier- one who has been around. They will give you a new point of view-
    You can also check out http://www.freerepublic.com for a point of view ( A lot of soldiers post there)

Just remember- 1st point view is usually more accurate than what you see in the media- In addition, when you look at different human rights watch reports that may criticize the US, see who is writing them and take their valididty with a grain of salt- I've seen a few that come from china, who doesnt have the ummmm, greates human rights record on the planet, if you catch my drift LOL

Again- 2 cents- tech

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and how is this not in the political forums yet? ;) :D

13. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Agreed, and I didn't help steer it away from that heading - it was a little more than I could just not comment on.

14. humantech macrumors member

Blue state red state one state two state

Thanks- I havent had a chance to check out your profile- where do you hail from friend? :)

15. humantech macrumors member

whoops- Agreed as well

Point should have stayed at
    " Check a first hand source. My suggestion is a soldier"
    Sorry to get of topic.... Dont get a mac user talking politics I spose hmmm?

Tech

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think because it's Sunday and hasn't been noticed/reported yet...

Won't be long when it is.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Checkout a member of an invading force that can't move outside its own bases freely and who have self selected as not understanding human rights,I don't think so.

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

humantech, do you have any proof that "blue states" have a harder time controlling crime than "red states"?

19. humantech macrumors member

ummmm....

So you're saying that you arent willing to examine another viewpoint ? Sounds like you might be a little closed minded- bigotry applies in all direction friend.
    What in the world makes you think they have "self selected to not understand human rights?
    Question authority brother- Question authority----

B

20. spencerwatts thread starter macrumors newbie

This has become an interesting discussion.

Thanks for the info, it helps immensly!

21. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Quote amnestyusa.com:
    And for the record, I agree with them.

22. humantech macrumors member

yes

LOL I'm suprised people didnt ask me about proof on my wild claim of blue states having more finanical issues than red ( so far) -
    check the following link to start-

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm#cius
    Takes some reading- Large PDF- there are also some that you can find that show The last 50 years or so of data.

However, Again, lets go to multiple sources of information because as the X-files stated- " the truth is out there" -
    Watch the news. California. Florida. New York. Washington. Oregon- All have lots of criminal stuff in the news. Pretty frequently. The Red states occasionally get media attention for a crime, but its generally determined that the person came into those states from another " blue state" to commit the crime-
    Where do you live? Is there a lot of crime there? Do you have to lock your doors? Are you worried about areas you arent allowed to go because they are " Too dangerous"? Are you in a red or blue state? Lot of graffiti? Gangs and issue? Are people MOVING because of crime and lack of opportunity? Dont take my word. Question then pay attention-
    Thats the mantra of the day ----

this is getting really interesting---
    Tech

23. humantech macrumors member

Ah- this is taking a whole different turn

For the record, I dont. However, in this terribly unfair country, we are allowed to disagree without either of us being persecuted- right?
    But thats a whole different forum which I would be happy to get onto as time presents-

Tech

24. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

So what exactly do those FBI stats prove (if anything)?

Sorry, but I have never seen California or Washington in the news any more than I've seen Texas or Georgia. Please show me some real evidence instead of your anecdotal stories.