What the ****?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you noticed a lot more posts with asterisks recently? The dirty word filter strikes again, I assume. That, or people just manually type in "****" and leave you to guess what it means.

And then there are those people who write curse words like th.is t-o get aw-ay with sayin_g bad s^*t.

On some rare occasions, I have typed in 4 *s to signify what I mean, so I have been guilty of this (but rarely). I just noticed the quantity we seem to be getting, although the newer (say under 200 posts) members, and those who are kind of new, but already have 1241 posts, do it more often. Actually, I'd say these "middle of the road" members do it more than the newbies. Not sure what I'm basing this on.

I know the large majority of us aren't mods here, but I'd still like to see a cleaner forum. If I wanted to post in a forum where the "youngsters are getting rowdy", I would have just gone back to the forum I used to post at, allowing them to suffer through my pointless posts, and better yet, my ridiculous shaving threads rather than you. :p

EDIT: Well, I should have said "Have you noticed any more rudeness on this board than say....last year? It's not just cursing.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just type the words and let the filter handle it, or post a link to the George Carlin bad word monologue.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

What the **** are you ******* talking about? **** man, I oughta **** you in the ***, ************. I'll **** you till you ******* love me.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I find it more irritating when people try to circumvent the profanity filter with quips like

"that's sooooo gey" etc.

Not so much a problem here but annoying nonetheless.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That is so 1337, mah N*****.

I personally look up to people who manage to sneak their profanities in the middle of words. Brilliant wordfrackingsmiths. :)

EDIT: In all honesty, I'm just actually really happy that Arn has been nice to us Battlestar Galactica addicts and let us say Frack™. :)

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Brillpenisiant!

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Still doesn't work. You can't even say S****horpe in polite company.

See? ;)

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes I have.* I'm not sure that there is any real increase in rudeness though.**

* Note that this is based purely on my qualitative observation and is in no way meant to serve as a quantitative judgement of the real number or percentage of posts that have contained, or will in the future contain, some number of asterisks.

** Again, this is purely an observation based on the threads I read. I could be wrong. In fact, given that I tend to read posts in a more specific set of forums, it may very well be incorrect. It is, however, my observation, which was the original point of the question.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

*s*******

DOH!!!!

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

**** *** *** ******* *****? * **** *** *** ********. :D :apple:

11. bartelby macrumors Core

The world is ****ing ass backwards when you can't even ****ing s****** at S****hrope for ****s sake!!!

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Listen to MacBoobs! I don't even like profanity. I just consider it clever. :D

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be honest, I do get a bit offended when people say S****horpe – especially when there are children around.

Not big or clever.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, okay, so what actually is that word? Is it a name of a place in the UK? I tried to google some guesses on what I was looking for and came up with nothing. :eek:

15. bartelby macrumors Core

You don't want to talk to people from this little German village:

[​IMG]

16. vniow macrumors G4

http://tinyurl.com/27c6z3

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sc*nthorpe... it's the second to fifth letters that are the problem so I'll leave it to you to work out. ;)

It trips me up quite regularly – I mention them from time to time as their football team is one of our arch rivals.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

19. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I like how the profanity filter blocks out M********* U*****, I would be deeply offended seeing that mentioned on these forums.

Oh, but Arsenal isn't...

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'll usually type out the #^?&%£$ word in stuff other than asterisks. Just so you know I care :D

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm quite disappointed it's not in my "Rude Britain" book. :( :D

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, thank you! :eek: I never really even think of that word! :eek:

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can't say that i've noticed more rudeness. but perhaps these words are just becoming more common-place and losing the social negative connotations on using them while keeping their negative meanings. so perhaps usage is up, but we're just more acceptable of them being used.

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Darn... and here was me thinking that would come in useful one day! ;)