What the?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 16, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I have a D-Link wireless router.

Now, even when I'm not doing anything on the internet (iChat, Safari, Torrents, etc) the lights are going blinkity blink. Could something deep inside my eMac possibly be using up my network connection?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's me, I'm making use of your wireless connection. :eek:

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The lights are blinking all the time on both my DSL modem and my AirPort base station.
    I certainly wouldn't be concerned.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

A cable or DSL modem constantly is staying active on the line and passvely listening. In a wireless network, if you broadcast the SSID then you are, well, broadcasting every few feconds. Plus, your mac likes the security of knowing its still connected to the network and 'phones home' every few to check.

Al in all, its nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, get a firewall an check usage. If its a lot, then you have a freeloader. If not, then no worries.

5. jrvl912 macrumors newbie

is it true........

is it true there is an emac that is lighted with lights ?? ohh and that its blue?? if so please reply to my message as soon as possible. thank you! heard this from a friend just veryfying if it was true! :confused: :D :confused:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

The router is constantly connected to your ISP (broadband, DSL), and as such detects network traffice that is occurring on the network. It is likely that you will see activity lights on the WAN side blinking even if you turn off the wireless portion and disconnect any wired LAN components.

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

What do you mean?

Lighted with lights? where?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry friend. I think you're looking for the PC modder's forum. Try here.

Of course, you could mod an eMac and add blue lights. Sort of like ricing up a BMW, but, hey, whatever....

9. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

If you really want to know if someone deep inside your emac is using your network connection run Little Snitch . I run it every time I install a program to see if it "phones home."

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oye, not another ***damn car and computer reference.

And modding an eMac wouldn't be too much fun if you just want to add lights, except if you use it in the dark and want the exterior to glow neon green or blue. For those of you that have the G5 issue of MacAddict with the G5 lighting show, you know what I mean, because you can see the lighting comming from inside the machine.

11. jrvl912 macrumors newbie

Lighted

its basically lighted with lights from the inside. and yes it is basically moded! only in a way to make it look nice. iam trying to get some more info to do this to my emac :D ohh and thanks for the person who gave that link on modding that could help!!! :cool: