What to buy??? Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by n3ra, Jun 9, 2004.

1. n3ra macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2004
    I was a first 100 day guy back in 1984. Loved the Mac and still do. Went to the dark side in the late 80's but my wife and I are ready to switch back to a Mac.

I've been looking at the iMac 20" since the end of last year. Kept holding out hopeing for a G5 iMac. Not sure now when that might occur. Rumors are always out there, but still no new iMac. I am going to wait until after the WWDC to see if anything falls out of that.

We want to use the Mac for email, the web and iLife app's. The ability to read/write word/excel/PPT files would also be nice. Also my wife likes to do cards, etc. on the computer.

What do you folks recommend? Our experience with our current Gateway (I know, I know) has not been overwhelming, so we were thinking of shying away from a laptop this time around. We never use it as a laptop anyway.

Go with the current iMac?
    Go with a PowerBook?
    Go with a new G5 PowerMac?

Thanks in advance.
  2. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    If the rumors are right then the G5 IMac will make itself visable at the WWDC and should be an awesum machine, especially for what you want to do with it. In any case i'd wait for that depending on how soon after it's gonna be released.

So its between the G5 PowerMac and the G4/G5 IMac since the PowerBook is technically a Laptop even if it is a beaufiful one. But you said you didn't want a Laptop.

I'd probably end up with a IBook since for what you want it for the PowerMac is IMO overkill :). But if you want such massive power behind you by all means go for it there both amazing systems!

Have fun, choosing is never easy :)