What to buy in NY?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Aug 29, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

So I'm going to be in New York City this Saturday and Sunday before I leave for my year of studying abroad, and my uncle (with whom I'll be staying in Manhatten) told me to bring money to buy "stuff need to buy, like cameras, ipods, ibook accessories; and must have clothes that you don't need like cool shoes". Now, I must say that I'm a bit of a stranger to shopping in a city like NY, so, my question is...

What should I buy in New York? I know there's quite a lot of stores there, so what's cool and what do you recommend? For the purposes of these recommendations, lets keep the cost of any particular item below $500, shall we?

Thanks! :)

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

3. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Of course....I plan on ESPNZone, at least....

But what stores should I go to? Apple store on 5th Avenue, of course....what else?

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

go to mamoun's. mmmmmmmm 2 bucks for a very tasty falafel. it's on the west side of macdougal just south of 3rd street.

5. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm going to Israel to study abroad, so I don't think I'll be wanting any falafel just yet. After all, I don't want to get sick of them. :)

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You've got to buy a tacky souvenir! Something like a toy yellow cab or a miniature Statue of Liberty :D

7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

mamoun's is the best! if you like hot sauce, they have the best! last time i was there though they were kinda stingey (sp?) with it.

the best kebabs (kabobs) you'll find. i think they're Turkish, not Israeli so you should check it out, it will be different to what you'll have in Israel.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i ate mamoun's daily for a month or two. you will NOT get sick of it.

what kind of kebobs do you get that are veggie, evo? just grilled veggie kabobs?

9. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Broadway tickets to the Producers! I went to NYC last month and it was a riot.

10. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Good call! Any particular shops/stores that are cool?

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you might have more success giving us an idea what kind of stuff you're into, besides macs... target our suggestions

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Apple store 5th Avenue! :p

Anything you want to buy, NYC has it, at any quality and any price. For camera equipment B&H is the place to go. Plus it has the added benefit of being run entirely by Hasidic Jews, which should give you a bit of preperation for Israel. :D

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hahaha. awesome

14. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

As of now, I'll probably go to Lacoste, A&F, B&H Photo and the Apple Store for shopping. I'm looking to spend a little bit of money in those places or places like them, so what do you recommend?

15. albertfreestyle macrumors member

ok asherman13, heres the deal..i went in June and had a great time (my 3rd)...you'll love it

In the time warner building you will find a restaurant called Per Se (Thomas Keller), awesome meal. During the day T. Keller has a cafe in the same building called Bouchon...wonderful, enjoy your lunch while overlooking central park.

shopping, u have to visit Earnest Cut and Sew on Washington St. (Earnest Sewn) - the denim label’s only freestanding store, you’ll find a custom-jeans service. A staffer takes measurements while you pick out buttons, thread color, and a back-pocket design. (for the same price you can buy them anywhere)

or if you need some (benchmade) shoes...Barker Black on Elizabeth St.

NYC also has a VERY large H&M store...and of course, Barneys, and after all that, go to apple. :)

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Go to H&M in SoHo. Good, cheap clothes! Their underwear is fantabulous :).

I leave for NYC tomorrow morning for university! I'm so excited :D. I've missed it so much!

e

17. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Something for me of course!

Or you could go and shop at some of those other nice places that others have suggested but I like my idea better.

18. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

If you want some designer sneaks at a discount, go to Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) in Union Square. They usually have LaCoste, Puma etc...
    Also, there is a shoe store on the corner next to DSW(can't remember the name)
    across from Virgin.

And then, walk down Broadway past 8th street, there's all kinds of clothing stores.

J&R Music and Computer World for electronics and yes, B&H is quite the experience.

19. irain macrumors regular

irain

Buy some Tasti D-Lite!!! They have several shops around NYC. Best stuff in the world. It's like ice cream, except they don't consider it ice cream beacuse it's not make of milk nor cream I'm pretty sure. So many flavors too.

20. gonyr macrumors 6502

A slice of pizza and a potato knish (total under $10). How can you beat that?

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Bagels

An "I <heart> NYC" t-shirt

Don't they have an ESPNZone in San Fran? Why would you want to waste time going to a national chain in NYC? Maybe I'm missing something.