What to buy (keeping the future in mind)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phanofwclark, Jun 22, 2005.

1. phanofwclark macrumors newbie

After reinstalling Windows 10 times to no avail (and replacing the hard drive) My brother has decided to get a mac. He would like to get a Mac, but we do not know which type to get. I was thinking the iMac, but he hates how it looks. I told him we should either get a Powerbook G4 or a Power Mac G5. My question is, which one should we get. While the Powerbook will probably get the most needed upgrade when Apple switches to Intel chips, mobility is something that he would find very useful. The Power Mac would also received a noticable upgrade, but I think it would last him longer.

He will probably end up replacing his computer within a couple of years, and is not really bound by any financial needs.

Which Mac should we get?

He will probably switch to an 'Mactel' once they come out, or shortly thereafter

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If he is going to replace the computer in a couple of years and he wants a portable he should buy a PowerBook the current PowerBooks are amazing machines, I actually find myself using my 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz more than my Power Mac G5. In day to day use I really can't see any difference in speed, and it's only when I'm flogging the box with some CPU intensive app I even notice.

Personally I think your recommendation of an iMac G5 is probably the best idea, imho they current iMac G5 is the best machine in Apples line up, bang for $ BUCK $ wise.

Anyway good luck with whatever he ends up buying.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If he will not go for the iMac G5, the I say go for a 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 w/128MB VRAM & 1GB of RAM. The current PowerBook G4's are awesome- lightweight & powerfull (yes, the G4 is still alive and kickin).
    The PowerMac G5s are also awesome systems. I love my PowerMac G5 (in signature)- it is so fast and Mac OS X 10.4 is so very, very much better than windblows xpee.
    But if he wants mobility, a 'book is best for his needs. Unless he plans on doing heavy photoshop or other demanding applications, the PowerBook G4 will work nicely for him.
    Either he goes, he will be happy - can't go wrong with a Mac.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If he really NEEDS portability get PowerBook. Otherwise PowerMac is a great choice

5. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Try the mini, it's small, low priced and a good intro to osx.

WTF, buy a powerbook if you what a laptop or a powermac if you want a desk top. Get a 23" or 30" ACD and wireless mouse in either case to use when working at home.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you already have a good monitor that will hold up and you want the best
    machine for your money then I'd recommend a dual PowerMac G5.

If you're only concerned with something to hold you for 2 years then
    retire your P/C strictly for gaming and buy a reasonably well equipped Mac Mini. Then you can run Mac OS X for daily use and online work.

If you'll need portability for school, then consider an iBook or a Power Book.