What to buy next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevo86, Oct 10, 2006.

?

what should I upgrade next?

1. 1GB RAM

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Dual Monitor

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. X1900 XT

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. stevo86 macrumors member

help me decide on what to buy next... I currently have a mac pro 2.66 with 1GB RAM, nVidia 7300GT, 410gb (250 + 160), and an LG L204WT. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a second GB of RAM, a second LG L204WT, or if I want to upgrade the video card to the X1900 XT. I can afford only upgrade right now and they're all roughly the same price so i don't know what to pick.

I'm worried that a second monitor would put too much stress on my video card while playing WoW. But I also don't really want to pay 300US for only one GB of RAM. Should the RAM prices drop any time soon?

I don't think i need the video card upgrade, but then again it would be nice to have it when running dual monitors.

It seems like i need to buy all or none haha.

2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Do you use it for games?

If so, get the graphics, if not, get the RAM!

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I voted ram because that's what OSX loves!

Seriously, ram will be the best investment overall as it speeds up just about everything that your comp can do, or will do.

_Z

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think a RAM boost will be the best improvement.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hard to say what you should buy next, what do you mainly use your computer for?

If you playing games extensively (you mentioned that you play games) then I would say to go for the ATI Radeon X1900XT.

Otherwise, I think that I would invest the money in more RAM, as Zman5225 points out, Mac OS X loves plenty of RAM. :)

6. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I would get the second monitor, current RAM prices are insane. But you sound like a gamer, so go with card, RAM, monitor and repeat.

7. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

haha well, as of right now the only game i really play is WoW... that runs fine with the 7300gt and only 1gb of ram. But i'm afraid the second monitor will bring the performance down to a level that i'm not pleased with. Also i've been telling myself ever since i bought this computer that i wasn't going to pay $300US for 1gb of RAM (i also refuse to buy the RAM without the proper heatsinks.)

I can tell i need RAM, but i can get so much more for that money.

EDIT: Has there been any nice price drops in the RAM lately? the best price I see is at Crucial which is $290.99 US for 2x512mb.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i have seen some mac pro ram for significantly lower on ebay if you feel safe using ebay. ! gig was around 170id say get the ram, graphics than monitor.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The ATI card is looovely, I can't get enough of WoW on it :D Of course you'll be wanting the ram too ;)

11. jTreu macrumors 6502