Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what should I upgrade next?

• 1GB RAM

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Dual Monitor

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • X1900 XT

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

stevo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
help me decide on what to buy next... I currently have a mac pro 2.66 with 1GB RAM, nVidia 7300GT, 410gb (250 + 160), and an LG L204WT. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a second GB of RAM, a second LG L204WT, or if I want to upgrade the video card to the X1900 XT. I can afford only upgrade right now and they're all roughly the same price so i don't know what to pick.

I'm worried that a second monitor would put too much stress on my video card while playing WoW. But I also don't really want to pay 300US for only one GB of RAM. Should the RAM prices drop any time soon?

I don't think i need the video card upgrade, but then again it would be nice to have it when running dual monitors.

It seems like i need to buy all or none haha.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I voted ram because that's what OSX loves!

Seriously, ram will be the best investment overall as it speeds up just about everything that your comp can do, or will do.

_Z

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Hard to say what you should buy next, what do you mainly use your computer for?

If you playing games extensively (you mentioned that you play games) then I would say to go for the ATI Radeon X1900XT.

Otherwise, I think that I would invest the money in more RAM, as Zman5225 points out, Mac OS X loves plenty of RAM. :)

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I would get the second monitor, current RAM prices are insane. But you sound like a gamer, so go with card, RAM, monitor and repeat.

stevo86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
haha well, as of right now the only game i really play is WoW... that runs fine with the 7300gt and only 1gb of ram. But i'm afraid the second monitor will bring the performance down to a level that i'm not pleased with. Also i've been telling myself ever since i bought this computer that i wasn't going to pay $300US for 1gb of RAM (i also refuse to buy the RAM without the proper heatsinks.)

I can tell i need RAM, but i can get so much more for that money.

EDIT: Has there been any nice price drops in the RAM lately? the best price I see is at Crucial which is $290.99 US for 2x512mb.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
i have seen some mac pro ram for significantly lower on ebay if you feel safe using ebay. ! gig was around 170id say get the ram, graphics than monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.