What to Buy: Oct. 12 iMac or Oct. 19 PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JayMtl, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. JayMtl macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal
    #1
    First, let me begin by saying that this thread partially belongs in the "speculation" section because, of course, and updated PB has not yet been released and no one has really "seen" the new iMac. But based on said speculation, I'd like to hear what y'all have to say.

    I've already made an order for the new 20" iMac (couldn't help it!), but was originally in the market for a PB, only I wasn't so keen on its specs. However, with the announcement of a likely updated PB as early as next Wednesday, I'm rethinking my decision.

    My main computer uses are word processing, image editing, internet, music and videos...all at the same time (I tend to be a memory hog :D ). Clearly, the new iMac caters to me but if the PB is updated, as speculated, in areas of memory, screen resolution, and graphics, then this could even things out.

    Of course, the PB will still be portable, but I haven't ever owned a laptop so I can't say I MUST have one for its portability; I'm in research, so if I own a laptop I can picture bringing it to the lab/library/coffee shops...and then lounging on the sofa/bed/wherever at home. This sounds great, but I can (and currently do) live without this. Plus it's a little expensive for itself.

    Besides, it really doesn't seem like the updates to the PB will be significant, and compared to the iMac it will likely stay inferior (spec-wise)...but the PB's specs will surely be fine for my needs and it's portable.

    So maybe the real question is, will the Oct. 12 iMac or the Oct. 19 PB have the greatest lifespan (in light of the iminent Intel switch) and which seems like it would better suit me? And should I cancel my current iMac order and wait to be unimpressed by the updated PB's specs? :confused:

    Thanks a million for contemplating this with me. I've seen some pretty good insight on these boards in the past few weeks...so I'm hoping a little bit of that will guide me. :)
     
  2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, Massachusetts
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. my current PB is up for sale on eBay, just incase something extraordinary is announced. I also placed an order for the 17" iMac, but havent decided yet as to whether I should cancel or it, or just go ahead and get both a desktop and new PB. I'm sure ppl on eBay will go crazy w/ the Auction last minute.

    Guess we will just have to wait for yet another Wednesday to come and see what Apple's up to this week.

    My Imac isn't suppose to ship until 10/21 so hopefully it won't get shipped before the announcments so I can cancel if I want to.
     
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #3
    Okay, well being a desktop, the iMac will most likely have a longer lifespan in terms of not being subjected to the usual wear-and-tear of a laptop, especially considering it would be your first portable.

    Add to that the fact that the new PowerBooks will not be as fast as iMacs. I think this is a pretty safe claim, especially if they're still G4 (effectively a definite). In fact the difference for most resource-hungry tasks will be quite significant.

    I recommend you stick with the iMac and then, if you really want to get a taste for portability, get an iBook too. It won't be as powerful as the PowerBook, let alone the iMac, but you'll still have your desktop to do all the trying tasks. I have this set up and it really suits me. From what you've said, I use my Macs for similar reasons too.
     
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

    Duff-Man

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #4
    Duff-Man says....well, since specs on what *may* (okay, probably....okay, almost certainly...) be in the upcoming Powerbooks are not known, as well as the price points on them - there have been several instances where when the update is not too significant Apple has also reduced the prices - I would say that unless you are in a huge hurry for the iMac (and it does not sound like you are in desperate need) then I would cancel that order and see what wednesday brings in the way of specs and prices. You can then make the better informed decision and read the 652 threads there will no doubt be around here....and if it comes down to just reordering the iMac then so be it, nothing lost except maybe a few days.....oh yeah!
     
  5. Danksi macrumors 68000

    Danksi

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Location:
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    #5
    Since you're iMac won't be shipped until 21Oct, perhaps you should leave the iMac ordered, then should anything big happen with the PB range on the 19th, you've still a couple of days to cancel and switch to ordering a PB. If not, then you'll have an iMac that little bit quicker than cancelling now, only to reorder shortly afterwards.

    I've ordered a 17inch iMac, to replace the Rev.B model sitting unopened in my hallway (killing me that!) - I've a HP NX7000 laptop at the moment, but if I like Mac a lot, then I'm considering an iBook for the 'portability' to compliment the iMac - as Mad Jew suggested.
     
  6. JayMtl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal
    #6
    Mine is shipping even later: "on or before the 26th" according to the order. That was something that crossed my mind, but am I able to cancel an order at any point before it ships? Even if it's a BTO order?
     
  7. Danksi macrumors 68000

    Danksi

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Location:
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    #7
    Ah - BTO orders I'm not sure about. I believe not, worth calling Apple. If your machine's not being shipped until the 26th, I can't see them building it already.

    What did you order extra?

    I've deliberately stuck to standard orders, luckily I've not needed a BTO machine.
     
  8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

    biohazard6969

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Location:
    toronto canada
    #8
    i'm in the exact same boat, but not in much urgency for new powerbook seeing as i already have one :eek: but i was contemplating either upgrading my PB or an imac, i chose the imac, but its supposed to ship "on or before the 27th" so i could always cancel and grab a PB if the specs are good enuff
     
  9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

    mr_matalino

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #9
    I would go with an iMac. I've been in the market for a new PB since July. However Apple is, in my opinion, "throwing together" this update to make people happy. Most of their engineering staff is working on Intel. They just need something - anything - to bridge the gap before the Intel's roll out. I myself am going to get a 20" iMac. I would buy a PB a year from now.
     
  10. JayMtl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal
    #10
    I added an extra gig of RAM to it...and yes, I know I could have had it cheaper elsewhere. But I've had one bad experience with incompatible RAM before and this model is brand-spanking new, which means I don't have any clear cut reliable source to tell me if the RAM I would purchase would be problem-free. For the $90-100 I would save, I would much rather be certain to have a flawless computer. Furthermore, Apple's RAM would be covered by Applecare if ever I decided on that.
     
  11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #11
    uh, let's see the specs and price on the powerbooks before starting this! :eek:
     
  12. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #12
    I am in your exact same boat and I use my computer for almost the exact same things haha. I had a 20" iMac on order but I canceled it yesterday and decided it would be best to wait and see what the PowerBook updates bring. I have been giving consideration to a PowerBook (I already have an Apple keyboard, mouse on the way and an iCurve so it would make sense to stick with the powerbook) and I think it was best for me to just be patient and see what happens. I say cancel the order and see what the updates bring and go from there... who knows.. by then the iMacs may be shipping in 1-3 days or maybe even 24 hours :D I will be in Indianapolis from the 20-23 so I can stop into my local Apple Store there and pick up an iMac if they have then in stock and the PowerBook updates leave much to be desired.

    EDIT: Another option I have tossed around was getting a 17" iMac and a 12" iBook... hmm... I guess the final PowerBook details will help me make the choice.
     
  13. JayMtl thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    Montreal
    #13
    I had also considered doing this, but that's way too many computers for my needs at the moment. I think I'll hold on to my current iMac order for as long as possible and cancel at the last moment if it comes to it, all the while hoping that it'll stay in "Processing" for the next few days until the new PBs are hopefully introduced. That way I'll save myself the trouble of possibly re-ordering another iMac, plus it'll be here sooner this way - Lord knows there will be high demand for both iMacs and PBs by the end of next week. Yikes! :eek:
     
  14. iDM macrumors 6502a

    iDM

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Location:
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    #14

    Without even reading your post i still feel i can give you a pretty relevant response............wait until the 19th. I know they said they are showing "pro" products which yes probably mean powermacs and powerbooks, but what if the update includes a built in cup holder that easily spills drinks, i guess what i mean is wait to see what they do release. They could potentially only upgrade some mundane component and then you essentially have a PowerBook that will still be in desperate need of an update, good luck i hope they release something awesome on the 19th, don't think i'm being cynical!!
     
  15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

    mduser63

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #15
    I'd stick with the iMac if I were you. I just think it's a better deal right now, and it will last longer than the PowerBook. Use the iMac for the next year or so, and hopefully by then, Intel PowerBooks will be out and you can get one of them if you want to. I love my 12" PowerBook, and I really do need the portability, but I still would love to have one of the new iMacs.
     
  16. Lucky8 macrumors regular

    Lucky8

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #16
    I just switched from a PowerMac user to an iBook due to relocation. (what a drop, right) But I've never regret it one bit. Portability is nice although at a cost of power.
    So as long as you don't do anything processor intensive tasks, you should enjoy the portability. ;)
     

Share This Page