Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm going to have $1500 very soon (next week or so), I currently have a 12" 800MHz G4 iBook (I like it, I've got no issues with it) but I have a buyer, who would pay $615 shipped. So I have a couple options, keep the iBook and spend the $1500 on a dektop set up, or sell the iBook and spend $2100 on a laptop. And yes, I'm going mac all the way (except if I get a seperate monitor, I'd prolly lean towards a dell). so you know what I have to spend, I'd like a new desktop or laptop. I NEED TO HAVE A LAPTOP. so its not an option to sell the iBook and use the $$ on just a desktop, I need to have either 1 laptop, or 1 laptop and one desktop. I will have a 160GB external SATA HD, so storage space isnt a huge issue. and I may be getting more $$ for x-mas, I have a couple other things to sell as well, so Max $$ I could have if I sold everything is around $2500. I currently have a 17" Dell CRT (not great, but it works fine, so it is an option, however not ideal, as a desktop monitor. I have some interest in the Dell 24" LCD, because I could use it with an xbox 360 @1080i through component (yes, this works, I've seen it done, its not an issue) I dont have a 360, but I will prolly get one in january.

-so I could keep my iBook, buy a mini (1.42GHz/combo) and the 24" Dell for ~$1540 (with edu discount)-I wouldnt plan on gaming at all w/ this set up, as I would eventually get a 360, and I dont do any 3D or video editing, would the mini drive this display acceptably? Apple says it will, but will there be any hickups with general usage? This set up seems ideal for me, as long as it will run smoothly
-spend $1500 on a powermac G5 and use the Dell CRT
-Sell my iBook and get a 15" or 17" new powerbook (I'd prefer new, because I like the higher res, I'm well aware of the 15" lines)
-iMac G5 for ~$1500
-Powermac G5 for $1000 (eBay or other private sale) and a 20" Dell LCD
-Wait till january for possible intelmac release (dont flame for this, at this point its an option for everyone)
-or anything else, I have a few requirements, it needs to be quiet, I really get annoyed by loud computers (IE G4 pMacs), 80GB minimum, 512MB minimum, AP&BT highly prefered, I dont plan on gaming at all

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
I'd wait until after MWSF. It doen't sound like you need to act now. Who knows what Steve has got up his sleeve.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iBS23 said:
I'd wait until after MWSF. It doen't sound like you need to act now. Who knows what Steve has got up his sleeve.
Sounds like sound advice...

But on the off chance that nothing Earth-shattering is revealed; I'd go for a nice iMac + your current portable.

I <3 me the iBook+iMac G5 combo.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
devilot said:

But on the off chance that nothing Earth-shattering is revealed; I'd go for a nice iMac + your current portable.

I would tend to agree . . . although those new powerbook screens are tempting! (Minus the lines of course!)

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I'm selling my kidney this weekend for $1500. What kind of mac should I get?

Actually, I just picked up a refurb last-model powerbook from smalldog for $1650 shipped. 1.67ghz, 15" display (w/no lines), superdrive, 1 gig RAM. Yowzah! Don't buy both a laptop and a desktop, it's like buying two cars when you can only drive one of them at a time. Just get one or the other, depending upon whether you need power or portability. It sounds like you'd still have enough leftover for an non-apple 19" monitor.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If loud computers bother you, Isn't any desktop out of the question?

also, I'm not seeing these $1000 PMG5s on ebay. but if you could get one for that much, plus 450ish for a Dell monitor on sale you'd have a hell of a system for the price. But I think you should sell the laptop too and buy a used PB and something sweet like an imac G4 or a cube.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
tristan said:
Don't buy both a laptop and a desktop, it's like buying two cars when you can only drive one of them at a time. Just get one or the other, depending upon whether you need power or portability. It sounds like you'd still have enough leftover for an non-apple 19" monitor.
I disagree. The OP's current iBook still manages his needs just fine and dandy. So it's perfect for on the road usage.

But sometimes, a little extra 'oomph' and horsepower is welcome (whether for the odd game, or for some Photoshopping) and that's when having a nice desktop is quite welcome. The two complement each other.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
devilot said:

I'd have to say this is stellar advice!

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
well, if I do get another laptop it will be new, IE: sell my iBook and buy a new powerbook, I'm not going to get a used powerbook, as I said before I *Really* like big/high res screens, so I'd def get a new powerbook, if that was the route I'd take.

here is the thing I was thinking about with the mini+Dell 24" set up, 1) the mini is very quiet (from what I've heard) and 2) the LCD is really sick, so I could upgrade the mini later on to some type of Rev. B intel mac and still use the LCD, and I could also use the LCD as a HD monitor.

another Idea I had was to sell my iBook and buy a new powerbook+24" Dell LCD. either a new 12" (So I'd have portability on the go, and still have lots of screen space at home) or a 15"+24"(perhaps I'd get a refurb, depends on how much x-mas $$ I get)

but I think I've decided that I'm going to wait for MWSF on Jan 10th to hear jobs keynote, maybe new minis, or powerbooks... who knows. but its 29 days away :D

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Keep the ibook which is still a compotent machine and buy an imac for the extra omph! If you need more screen realestate hook up that 21" crt to the imac for dual screen mode.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
devilot said:

This is my advice for you as well. Your current iBook G4 and a new iMac G5 would make a nice team! :)

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
Keep the ibook for now, wait for MWSF. Once new intel books are released, or if rumors look good, sell the ibook, get a new intel book once they come out. If you "need a laptop" then just have a laptop - don't get a desktop also. I second the advice that you're not going to be using 2 computers all that much - sort of like having 2 cars. It's nice but not all that necessary.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I've decided I DO NOT want an iBook/iMac combo. I think I'm going to sell my iBook ASAP (before intels so I can get as much $$ as possible) and then buy a new powerbook+24" LCD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.