WHAT to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zap2, Aug 26, 2005.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ok so this is my story

I was in staples with my brother ,mom and grandmother so my brother was talking about how he wanted a new desk so my Grandmom said " ok and it will be your xmas and b-day present. My bro picked one out that is $269 plus he is going to have them put it to together for him( costing anywere from $50-190$) so thats at least 320 to 450 for me to spend on something i want, and i was thing about stuff a new desk( link http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ue&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=130200

but then i was thinking perhaps i should something else becuz i have a desk and my brother is getting rid of his 2 old one that i could use so why spend it on that?

So now i look at stuff for my Mac, software , a digital cameria??, iSight, preodeing Start wars 3 in DVD, PSP ect.. any ideas

Some back round to help you pick

going into 8th grade 13 years old, iMac G5 rev a, 1gb ram, running 10.4.2.,has a PC for Pc games, no laptop, has iLife and iWork 05, a iPod and iPod shuffle.

ANy ideaas would rock! How good would Star Wars battle front run on my iMac???

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

i think i would get a psp, but thats just me.. i wish i was in the 8th grade that would rock

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

4. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

WHY??

cuz my grand mother wants to buy me stuff to make me happy so she can see me happy? She is not goign to live forever and she wantes to make me happy and she is moving in with us so she will not have any bills so she spends it on her family.(her words). IF YOU READ MY post you would see this is a XMAS present and im gettign it early. And im only getting few or 1 of those things. you need to reread my first post or rethink what "spoiled" is, i have bougth my computer from work $ and my iPod and shuffle , i work for i what i get.

5. paperinacup macrumors 6502

zap2, calm down.

From the looks of it you dont NEED anything else high end.

6. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

no one NEEDs high end things(other then high end stuff to slove crimes and other jobs)

i work for everything i get , few thigns are just given to me

i did to ask this thread to get yelled at by people becuz my grandmom cares for me

with that said i can say i do have many nice things and i owe my parnets greatly for there help but i do work, i don't sit around eating cookies all day.

7. paperinacup macrumors 6502

No one was yelling at you but I'm just gonna leave this one alone. I personally never said anything about your grandmother caring. I said calm down. You are making a huge deal out of things.

8. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

dont get a psp im 14 and i got one when they first came out and i never use it

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I'd definitely go for the digital camera. You can get a really sweet camera for 400 bucks. :)

10. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I'd go for the digital camera or the PSP. Probably the PSP because you seem to enjoy gaming :).

11. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I don't know how old you are. But almsot any professional needs higher end digital equipment. i purchased a Powerbook, because it handles live audio recording better. I am the manager of a band, thats what I do. Why did I buy the 7 megpaixel camera, because I need to take poster size resolution shots? Just because someone at home doesn't need professional stuff doesn't mean noobody needs it besides the police.

Also, usually when you get large quantities of money from anyone, which is usually to make you happy, its called spoiled. The dictionary says to treat with excess kindness or generoisty. You siad it yoruslf that your grandmother is doing to make you happy, and is obviously bieng too generous, because no one has to spend a dollar to bring a smile to someone else's face.

Heres my suggestion, if you don't need anything or have to actually post online what people can think of for yout o buy, you don't need something and you should put it in the bank or invest it. You might need it one day and I promise you that Star Wars won't come in handy down the road.

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i was about to post a responce but the the chef beat me to it.

13. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

i said police and other Jobs you NEED IT FOR YOUR JOB which is what i said after the police thing. Im a fan of star wars and i im going to get that.

From what you say it sound like you have only what you need and nothing more, im sure you have extras that are fun but not needed.I have been given a gift from a family member and i plan to use that, im sure you have some stuff that was gift and is nice to have. With this extra $$ i plan on buying getting a gift for my selve. My grandmom does make happy when i see her, hear her stories from the past, she fills me with joy but a gift of $$ does also make me happy and it was her idea not mine. I think im going to save the $$ for a ibook for school. And i also learned that if i ask what i should buy with a gift of money people will yell at me for getting new stuff.

Some people here acted like i should not get a gift which is dumb.

And i thank the people who told me what they thought i should get and did not tell me i should not get a gift i thank you.

For anyone who cares

im saving for an iBook G4 12'' and plan to get star wars 3 and star war battle front 2 for xBox

14. zim macrumors 65816

zim

wow, gonna suck to be you at the holidays... I would skip this "take advantage of" option and just hold off for a holiday gift, one that will have more meaning... but that is me ;)

Have fun with your Xbox games :)

15. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Dude there is something brown on your nose..... jkjk But with all seriousness get whatever youd like. No one is saying you shouldn't get what you want.

16. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

ya well i have the rest of my family but last year it was all $$( to help buy my Mac btu alot of the $$$ was work $)

she most likly still get me something small and if the idea that counts so.... im fine with it

17. paperinacup macrumors 6502

18. iDONTdoWINDOWS macrumors member

i don't sit around eating cookies all day.[/QUOTE]

Why dont you go have a cookie and calm down.

19. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

oo a cookie!!!!!!!! :D i clamed down with out a cookie! :p

20. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

No offence zap2, but you should watch your spelling and syntax.

21. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

zap2 my mother has this desk in her office, Its very nice. :)

22. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Got me one of those. Love it, but if you aren't going to use a 7MP its useless.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wow. You have no sense of tact...

Like others have said, go for the digital camera. You can get one that will serve you very well for the years to come for four hundred dollars or so...

24. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I don't suggest you buy a digital cmaera for $400. Really you purchase a $200 that will do you just as well and if you really don't care too mcuh about becomine a phtographer, it is really a waste of money.

25. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I wanted something, with a decent optical zoom. I believe it cost about $350, in December. I got the Konica Minolta Z2, but it is now discontinued, they have models that replaced it. I love the 10x optical zoom, and it has an excellent movie mode.

If you're not too concerned about an optical zoom, I think a $200-$300 digital camera is fine. Most of them take excellent pictures, and they will all integrate nicely with iPhoto.

So you might want to get a $200 digital camera, and then get a Sony PSP, when you've saved up enough to get that too. If you have any vacations, events with friends, or family get-togethers up-coming, then get the digital camera. Creating pictures, for memories decades from now, will mean more to you than what games you were playing in 2005.