What to buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shaun.P, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Argh! I was wondering if someone could advise me what to buy?

I have an eMac 1.25 Ghz, with 512 MB of RAM (2x256mb) and a DVD-RW (which I installed myself - it's a Pioneer) w/ 32mb graphics card. I also have a iPod Mini, which I was really happy with..that was until the Nano came out :).

I don't know what to do. But I want to *buy* something. Lol.

I am thinking of:

1. Selling my Mini, and adding extra money to buy a Nano.
    2. Buying 2x 512 mb RAM modules and selling the 2x256, which would increase my eMacs RAM to 1 GB.

I use my Mac for the following:

Listening to iTunes, Making my own DVDs (putting AVIs onto a DVD to make a data disk, not encoding them for viewing on a DVD player) and I typically have lots of windows open in Safari, including tabs. (Tabs has to be the best invention in the world, ever!) and I do some light photo work with iPhoto.

Would I notice a big difference going from 512mb of RAM to 1GB? I have included a picture from Activity Monitor.

I would prefer to get the RAM but I have 2 problems:

I don't know how easy it would be to sell my 2x256 (one is Apple, one is Crucial) and secondly, RAM seems to be very expensive - like I wouldn't mind buying it second hand for much cheaper but all the stuff on eBay is brand new (I am in the UK by the way!).

So if anyone could offer any help, I would greatly appreciated it :).

Thanks again :)

2. enckwanzer macrumors member

Getting more RAM will almost certainly help a lot. On my Powerbook, going from 512MB to 1.25MB made a world of difference -- especially if you're the type that likes having many windows open. As for how to add ram in a cost effective manner from the UK, someone else if going to have to help you with that.

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Go for the RAM

Sell your old RAM in the MacRumors Marketpalce....and maybe even buy more RAM there too. Or maybe you can do a trade or something - and eBay is also a good alternative. http://www.newegg.com has pretty good prices on RAM too.

Increasing RAM helps a lot! Now that I'm thinking of it... I'll add more RAM to my PowerBook for now instead of buying a new one right away :D Good luck!!

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Acording to this 1gb RAM sticks shouldn't be a problem, just make sure your getting the right type of RAM. I'm very glad I could help, good luck! :D