What to Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CompUser, Sep 25, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

Using my leftovr Birthday money (after putting some in the bank- $150) I want to buy something. My parents got me a 4GB Nano, Razr, Tiger and gave me some cash. The rest of my family for the most part gave me cash.

I have $300. I am thinking of getting maybe an LCD- a refurb 17" Dell UltraSharp ($239) or a 17" LG Flatron from newegg ($259 after rebates).

I am also thinking that instead I should get the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II from amazon.com for $80+13.50 shipping. I am also interested in Grand Theft Auto.

I can't use my 21" CRT in my room anymore because of the setup of my room in my new house. So a 17" LCD might be nice because my PB is only a 12".

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

save the majority of it, trust me.

could always donate some of it too, there are a lot of people needing the help right now.

why can't you use the CRT anymore?

3. KittenKrusher macrumors regular

A 21" CRT sounds like a good monitor. I say save the money for something else that is better. If you want an LCD that bad, I would say for the Dell 2005FPW or the bigger 24" one. Going from a 21" to a 17" might seem like a downgrade that cost money.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Maybe sell the 21" CRT, since you can't use it anymore, and save up for something bigger?

A car for next year maybe? *checks age in sig*

5. CompUser thread starter Guest

The CRT does not fit into my built in desk area. There is like a bay window type thing in my room that has a granite countertop that is a desk. Nice view out the window. CRT would block view and would not fit well on desk.

Car wise, I'm either getting our 3rd car which is a White 02 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 or my dad's 03 White Land Rover Discovery SE-7.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh.. well save up money for insurance payments and gas money?

If you can't find anything you really want, don't spend money just to spend it.

Maybe give some to a charity? You'll get some good karma. :)

7. captainwinky macrumors newbie

Don't get a 17" flat panel. I have gotten 2 Dell 2005FPWs (1 9 months ago and one 4 months ago) for $500 and $450 after tax and shipping. Save the money and get a nice screen. 17ers are small these days...

8. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You're kidding right? Your folks are just giving you a car?

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Hmm.. Just a thought --

invest in the stock market a little. It can be real fun. :):):)
    :D:D

...I love investing.

then, when you increase your $, keep some, give some to charity (I count as a charity, BTW. Just sayin'), and you'll have that much more experience that you can use later on.

11. budugu macrumors 6502

if getting a dell i would say wait and buy the 20" widescreen... but from your sig i see that you are in the XGA range ... 15"LCD/12" ... 17" will be still look large for some time atleast! ... check this widescreen LCD from best buy for 200 bucks... with DVI and stuff .. (if you are thinking of a dell 17" get only the 1704 ultra sharp one ... other 1703 is not that good ... ihad both) ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7196394&type=product&id=1112808997046

and i am sure if you are getting a LandRover or a V8 SUV ... you probably have a digital camera + video cam etc ... and pretty soon will be getting more cash ! ;) :D

12. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Save it for one mommy and daddy can't give you everything under the sun :)

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Amen to that. You do mean "when" instead of "one" don't you?

15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Your parents love ya so very much...

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So do mine but they'll never just give me a car - they could, but they sure as hell won't.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wow I got a hundred bucks and I dont even get allowance... not gonna get a car either... have to pay for insurance when I get my license. how I loathe you ;)

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

buy low sell high

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you are very smart with your decision to not purchase a car. They are a loosing proposition from the start. Are you able to use a bus? Good luck with your decision.

20. CompUser thread starter Guest

I'm sure that your parents are home though for dinner.

My dad gets home at 8:00pm (leaves at 5:00am) and my mom gets home at 6:30 sometimes 7:00. My mom is a pediatrician and my dad works 1.5hrs away and he is a VP or something at a company that manufactures power plant equipment. For the first 12 years of my life I had a nanny.

All I can say nicely is what one of my teachers says: "You get out of life what you put into it". My dad went to Duke and my mom became a doctor.

They bought my sister a new Jeep Wranger Sport when she graduated high school (she drove our grand cherokee). She was #1 out of 200 students and now goes to a very good college.

and no I do not get an allowance.