What to buy?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TaKashMoney, Nov 15, 2005.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

My family is now seriously looking to replace the old Gateway desktop plagued with viri and malware and is in the market for both a desktop and a laptop. I just bought a 12" ibook for college and couldnt be happier but I'm not sure what to recommend for them. My parents will be using the computer mostly for internet, email and itunes, while my teenage sis will be using Word, internet, email, instant messenger, itunes, digital photos and not much else. Being a recent switcher my first instinct was to recommend an iMac and iBook with MS Office. However, I'm not sure if switching will be as easy for them as it was for me and I'm about 500 miles away- in no shape to help them out. For the most part, I think it will provide a much better peace of mind for my dad not having to constantly clean for malware and viri, and I definitley enjoy the stability and ease of use, but I am afraid they will become frustrated with the new OS simply because its different. My dad uses windows actively at work and my sister mostly uses windows at school. Do you see any downfalls to an all mac system? Do you think I should recommend they take the plunge, maybe a windows desktop and mac laptop? And if they do, what set up would you recommend? I've heard the iMac g5's have serious over heating issues and is 512 RAM sufficient for desktop work? I just would feel terrible if I recommend them to plop $2500 for two Macs that they dont enjoy when they could get any other dell and save some serious money. I love my mac and will never buy another windows machine (hopefully!) but just not sure if its right for everyone. Thanks for the advice!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

As for downfalls-- just what you said; you know your family better than we do. It does take some getting used to to use a whole new and quite different OS as your primary. Do you think your family is willing to give it an honest try?

That said; why not have a 1/2 decent Windows machine (just in case) and get a Mac Mini? It's cheaper than any of Apple's current laptops and it can handle itself quite well. You could even get some sort of a switch (others here know more than I do about this) and use the same display/keyboard/mouse between the windows machine and the Mac mini.