What To Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fuubuu, Feb 18, 2007.

1. fuubuu macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2007
    I am going to buy a Mac but unfortunately I don't have much money. What should I buy? I need to be able to run Photoshop CS2 and Flash 8 at a decent speed, and I also need a good picture and resolution, and something that is relatively future proof (4-5 years). I was thinking about a Mac Mini and just buying a new monitor, but would the Mac Mini run these apps at a good speed, and would I be able to keep it for at least 4-5 years before having to upgrade it or should I just buy an iMac? I also need a DVD writer as I burn alot of things to play on my DVD player. Thanx!
  2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I seriously would hold off on buying a Mac mini right now. They are way overpriced for the hardware you are getting. Unless you can find one at a significant discount off what Apple's offering them for, I would wait.

On the other hand, why not get an iMac? It will be much more future proof and the price is not bad at all. You could get a 17" iMac for less than what it would cost to get a mini and a monitor, or you could spring for the 20", which is a very nice machine. If you are set on getting a computer without a built-in monitor, you should just wait until the minis get updated and then reevaluate their value, but at this point they are just way overpriced.
  3. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2007
    Vallejo, CA
    I agree i have the 2.0GHZ 17 inch iMac and i run CS2, Flash, Aperture and Finalcut and it runs great i usually keep CS2 and flash open at the same time with no slowdown at all