What to choose for project?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by davidlt, Jul 19, 2007.

1. macrumors member

May 22, 2007
    I am thinking to develop a few programs for Mac to see how everything is on this side. The problem I have that I can't find any good documentation how to make something visible.

First of all, I would like to find out which language should be the main for the work. As I can see there are just a few possible options:
    - C++ + Cocoa
    - JAVA + Cocoa
    - Ruby/Python + Tk (8.4 supports native Aqua)
    - Mono + Cocoa#

I was not able to find first two options documentations or any other more informative examples. Ruby + Tk already tested and it works, but everything is completely 100% open for people. Just open with any kind text editor and you can edit code.

While the last one looks the best. Mono, C# and .NET on the Mac. Plus, it is very well documented, very easy to program, but I think it's not the common way how the programs are written in Mac.

And JAVA as always requires a lot more from your computer.

I would like to know which one would you choose or you are using and of course why? Or maybe you are using Object-C, which doesn't sound nice for me. And where could I get some more examples, full documentation about programming in those environments using Cocoa?

Any other suggestions where should I look?

EDIT: The best documentation for JAVA should be here: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/index.html (as I assume)

"Using Python and the PyObjC bridge gives you the best of all worlds—Python and Cocoa."
    "Welcome to the homepage of the RubyCocoa project, a bridge between the Ruby and the Objective-C languages, allowing you to manipulate Objective-C objects from Ruby, and vice-versa. It lets you write full-stack Cocoa applications in Ruby. It is also possible to write a Cocoa application that mixes Ruby and Objective-C code."
    I think it answers some of the questions, that I should not use any other libraries. (expect this framework for ruby)

EDIT3: It looks like Object-C controls the life in Mac. Right now I have some more information about the programming in JAVA, Python, Ruby.

EDIT4: Found out about Objective-C 2.0, which looks a lot better from older version. It uses dot-notation that makes it understand more easily.

EDIT5: Python and Ruby programs should be easily editable by any users. These languages are scripting languages. And this is one of their minus.
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 25, 2004
    Cocoa is the way to go on the Mac. There is actually really good documentation on it.

Here is a good place to start: http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/GS_Cocoa/index.html

EDIT: a few more comments...

Java + Cocoa is not ideal. Stick with Objective-C.
    Forget Mono, too. I have a feeling that you are familiar with C# so you are tending toward C#-ish options.
    Objective-C is actually a simpler language than C#. If you learned C# you will not have a problem with Objective-C. Also, don't worry about dot notation in objective-C. After you've used bracket notation for a day or two, it will seem as clear as dot notation. In fact, it is simpler and more explicit than C# syntax.