What to do-17" imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jenangelcat, Dec 15, 2006.

1. jenangelcat macrumors newbie

I'm torn. I currently own a 6 year old Compaq, 850mhz, 356mb ram running Windows Me. It is a piece of junk. I have various issues with it's speed, graphics problems and it's crappy operating system. I would like to buy a new computer. My problem is that I want a gaming system even though with a 1 yr old I don't really get to play games anymore. I understand that the game card on a Mac is not upgradable. I originally wanted the 24" iMac but it is a little out of my price range and would be pretty pointless if I can't upgrade it.

Frustration is making me consider buying the 17" imac (512MB memory
    160GB hard drive1 24x Combo drive Intel GMA 950 graphics, 1.83ghz) for internet use, photo printing, maybe making some banners for my blog etc. Nothing heavy duty. Maybe in a year I can get a cheap pc to do some gaming on with no internet to collect virus's from. Is this a decent system to get for this? Is the memory upgradable on the Mac?

Obviously anything is better than the computer I have now. In your opinion is the 17" imac a good option?

Thanks in advance,

Jen

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

The 17" Combo Drive does not have a graphics card (I assume you know) and it can't write DVDs. If you just use it for iLife, work, internet, and e-mail it should be more than fine. The memory is upgradeable. It can take either 2/3 GB of RAM (can't remember) and it comes with 512MB.

If you want to game, and already buy the above iMac, a PC should be good. And remember no internet = no online gaming if that's important to you.

3. jenangelcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm actually I didn't know that. Is that a bad thing? Obviously it's not good for gaming but does it hurt anything else? I guess that means no Runescape though...

I see that this one has the graphics card, maybe I'll go with that one. 1GB memory
    160GB hard drive1
    8x DL SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon X1600 graphics
    17" monitor

Now with the above specs would I be able to play games like the Sims 2 or Civilization 3?

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Not having a graphics card really affects 3D applications, like 3D movie editing or games. Runescape is 2D so I don't think it should matter too much. Not sure about that though. The SuperDrive 17" iMac seems to be really good for you. You can't update the graphics card to 256MB from 128MB, and I'm not really sure how Sims 2 or Civilization 3 will run on the iMac. Well, they will run, but everyone has different standards for what they consider "acceptable".

If this 17" SuperDrive iMac can run your games fine, then you will really have gotten rid of any necessity to have a separate gaming PC. Unless, of course, there are PC games that aren't available for Mac. Also, BootComp could solve that problem.

5. jenangelcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that is very helpful! I think I'm going to have a play with the 17" (w/gamecard) next time I'm at Futureshop. I really want a Mac, so it's just a matter of which one.

Jen

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Awesome! :) I just ordered a 20" (Refurb) iMac today. I'm looking to play Call of Duty 2 and it should run good. Have fun with your new mac (when you buy it)!