What to do before Installing OS 10.3 Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KBFinFan, Oct 8, 2003.

1. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

So I am new to the Mac world, just getting my 15" and such, and was wondering what I should do when I upgrade.

I've heard that similary to the Windows world a clean install is best for ideal performance and what not.

I have a 20GB iPod so backing things up shouldn't be too difficult if I do a clean install, but is this a good idea?

Any other suggestions for the cleanest/easiest/best install would be appreciated...

Thanks

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I do a clean install on my G4 every time a "new" OS comes out.
    I usually copy my entire "Home" folder to an external volume (like an iPod).
    When done installing the OS (+updates) and apps, I copy the "needed stuff" back to my new home dir, finding out which files are important, and which are not.
    A good way to learn which files belong to what.

3. beefcake macrumors 6502

If an external drive is not available, what is the install type for wipe everything clean? All I need to save is my iTunes folder and I can burn that onto a few discs.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so once you have the stuff backed up.... just pop in the panther cds and do a "reformat/clean install" or something like that.... best to start fresh when possible.

5. ScubaD macrumors newbie

I just got my G5 back around 9/15. Haven't installed too much software on it. Just installed Photo Elements, Entourage, Proteus, Final Cut, and some minor apps. I also have 7G of music. I haven't back up the music yet, since most of it is on my XP machine as well.

Should I do a fresh install?

Thanks

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

depends how much time and such you have.... the fact is, with less stuff already installed, it's even easier to do the clean install...

clean install whenever possible i think...