What to do: couterfiet Cashiers check

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blueflame, Jun 28, 2006.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

So, heres the story. I Sold my mbp, and some various other items via craigslist. the person saw my ad and called me, they made a money order, which I was worried about, so I called them and asked for a cashiers check, as I was told that those were safe. well, i got the check, it looked real, watermarks and all, I deposited it into my bank. today, i check my account, and boom, its gone, so i call teh bank, they tell me it is being returned to me, as it did not clear or something, i called the issuing bank, and OCS who does their checks for them, and they said they have no record, I do not have teh check back yet, but ICS said they have no record of teh check serial number. so assuming that it is fake, is there anything i can do? am I screwed?
    the only information I have on the person, is their phone number, thats it. they have the computer, and I have a possibly fake check. sigh, this is gonna kil me, as it was pretty uch all the money i had left
    andreas

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

There is basically nothing you can do, i am pretty sure on that, other than going to kneecap the person that basically stole your MBP

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Try phoning the police and see if there is anything they can do for you or contact your bank and ask them how you should proceed.

4. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Call the police. There's probably not much that will happen, but you will have it on record and they MAY have a record of this person doing it before. Good Luck!

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd actually call the local office of the Secret Service - this is their territory.

Mind you you prolly won't get anywhere, but its the best you can do.

6. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

this is horrible

i have 2 phone numbers of them, and thats about it, well, and the check. the numbers can probably be traced right?
    andreas

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, not to be a jerk or anything, but you need to hold your merchandise until the money order/cashiers check clears, or call the issuing bank to verify that they did indeed issue said cashiers check.

Hell of a way to learn that lesson though...

People suck.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes, and you can even do some of that yourself, but if the people who stole your MBP are savvy enough to print fake cashiers checks, they're probably savvy enough to not use a phone that could be traced to them. :(

9. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

suggestions

any suggestions on how to find out information fomr the phone number?
    andreas

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You have to pay, but you could try here.

11. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

if anyone wants to know

THE PERSON who made the check or the in the name of the person is Mark Taylor. suposedly this was her brother who picked up the computer, the woman i talked to was named Marsha. this should be her phone number.
    and the phone number is 909.524.1749
    just in case someone here reading this can do this kind of thing, like look them up, any help is greatly appreciated.
    andreas

ADDED:
    I am in studio city California, when i looked up their address, it says pomona.
    but yea, los angeles is a safe bet.
    andreas

12. 61132 Guest

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you should let people know city/state if you're going this route

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Heck, call both. Make noise. I'd even contact the news if the buyer was in the area.

Good luck!!

just remember-- what comes around goes around.. it's only a matter of time before the scumbag gets bitten in the crotch by a dog or something, and you'll win the lottery for exactly the amount you lost. :)

15. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

thank you

im really about to break down, im currently on the job hunt, and this is like my survival money, the reason i sold the mbp in the first place was for less power, and to havea little extra money to tide me over, now it is all gone. im really very worried. thank you so mcuh for the sypathy though, it is appreciated, and good to know people care.
    andreas

16. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

btw

im not suggesting harrasment or anything, just if someone can find these people
    andreas

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Call the police. Police LOVE busting counterfeiters.

Just as well, do a little digging around in phone books. And yes, next time, be more careful.

18. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I did a reverse phone search on that number and it is a land line. The provider is Mpower Communications Corp. I would contact them. The information is unlisted.

19. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

i googled them

and they dont have a contact number that I am aware of. i am going to send them an email.
    andreas

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You said you had two phone numbers...did you try digging around on the other one yet?

21. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

other number

the other number is at home, and I am at work, but you better belive im gonna be posting it as soon as I have it, and doing everyhting I can. as i said earlier, this is like all the money I have to live on for a while, so its important to me,
    andreas

22. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

that area code/prefix is for Pomona CA, call the Pomona Police department, they can find out the address from the phone number. Also i believe this is a Fedral crime since it has passed thru a bank

http://www.ci.pomona.ca.us/city_departments/police/

Police (Non-emergency) - (909) 622-1241

Ed

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, ed makes a good point. this is different from a case where they simply scam someone and never send money. this involved counterfeiting, which is a bigger deal (what's to stop them from doing it on a bigger scale?)... so definitely talk to the authorities.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I know monetary counterfeiting is handled by the U.S. Secret Service... not sure about counterfeit checks.

25. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

You said you had phone numbers. See if you can contact the police, and see if they can issue a subpoena to the phone company and get some records :) I hope everything turns out okay, scammers are the scum of the earth :(