Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Well well, this is the situation. My dad is moving to Boston (not splitsville, but for job), while my mom and I stay here. As we are a rather close family (and he will be flying back every two weeks or so), we've decided to use webcam technology.

As I have a PB and the family has a Dell Inspiron (which he'll be taking), we were first thinking about getting an iSight for the Powerbook and another (or maybe a Logitech?) for the Dell. But now my mom has become interested in a MacBook with the built-in iSight. We don't know what to do.

Here are the questions:
(1) If I have a Mac and he has a Dell, there should be no problems with video/talking, so long as I use iChat and he uses AIM Triton?
(2) What is "AIM Triton"? I downloaded it on the Dell, but it's sort of confusing to use compared to regular AIM.
(3) Since my dad is bringing the Dell and the only computers we'd have at home would be my PB and an old Dell desktop, would it be better off getting a MacBook, and buying just 1 webcam instead of two? (Money is no factor, since my mom is sort of interested/prepared to buy a new laptop)
(4) Any popular/good alternatives to an iSight? (they are rather expensive)

I am so sorry with all these questions, but I am totally unfamiliar with iChat AV/webcamming. We just need an easy-to-use, reliable way to see each other on a daily basis without overly complicated steps to setup and talk. Thanks for advice! :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's been about 6 months since I tried video chat with a PC (I've since given my parents my old iMac), however, unless things have changed, video chats will work, but the window size on the PC is pretty small.

It's unfortunate that you can't convince him to bring a MacBook, because that would probably provide the best A/V solution.

As far as cameras: the iSights are great because of the quality of the built-in mics, but I've found Logitech webcams to be pretty good.

BadgerMac

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
I've never done Mac to PC Skype, but I use SKype on teh PC side with video conferencing and it's quite nice. Talking to my brothers in Uruguay and S. Korea over video minimal bandwidth breakup.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
jsw said:
It's unfortunate that you can't convince him to bring a MacBook, because that would probably provide the best A/V solution.

I know :( . Unfortunately, my dad is still "suspicious" and somewhat skeptical about anything Apple.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Well if you convince them to buy a MacBook (doesn't have to be a pro, remember) then if he doesn't like it maybe it'll be passed down to you!! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, iChat is fantastic, its so smooth and easy to use, I just wish my friends with PBs had built in cameras so I could use it with more people. I've only got one friend that has an isight/built in and he's my housemate!! We use it to show off every now and again though.
If money isn't an object and they're interested in getting a MacBook anyway then surely he can take both his Dell and a new MBP/MB. Then he can carry on using his Dell and slowly get converted to the Mac as he sees how easy and great it is to use when iChatting etc.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
what about MBP and Bootcamp for your dad and Macbook for your mom? I mean, you're dad's probably getting some sort of relocation compensation so he could use that if it came down to it, or tell his company his laptop got damaged in the move... that way he could communicate with OS X and "work" with XP, since the built in iSight isn't going to work on XP via bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.