what to do on/for 30th birthday ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by etoiles, Sep 16, 2003.

1. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Hello everybody !
    yes, my big birthday is coming up in November and I am still looking for original ideas to celebrate friendship, life and all that good stuff.

Having a party at my place with some friends, spinning records, having drinks maybe a BBQ and just taking it easy was my original plan (the weather should be ok in Southern California).

Another idea would be to hike up a mountain and having some wine/fondue on top... I guess only my very best friends would make it (which could be a good thing or not, I guess I'd soon find out how many friends I really have, he he).

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions/ideas. The crazier, the better :D

Thanks in advance !

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

wow, i could never imagine being that old.... :)

3. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

why you little... (waving fist)

:p

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hide, would be a suggestion, depending on your friends and co-workers.

They may all show up wearing funeral type clothing.

I'm just thankful I was pretty much away from everyone for that one and that the people didn't know me when I had my 40th. :D

5. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I remember my Dad's 30th Birthday. I was only like 6 or 7, but I still remember it vividly. We got all the family members we could (about 200) and threw a massive party for him at a hotel. We rented the whole pool area, and a ball room, and it was just so much fun. It doesn't matter where you go or what you do as long as you are surrounded by the people that mean the most to you. Happy 30th!

--Waluigi

6. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

bousozoku: common ! it's only getting better and better, right ? right ? ;)

Waluigi: thanks ! Whatever I do will definitely include friends, although my whole family (and most 'old' friends) are overseas and I will have to catch up with them around Christmas/New Year.

So, any other suggestions for a meaningful 30th birthday in southern California (or in general) ? Skydive over lake Elsinore ? Make a big bonfire in the desert and dance around naked (eeeeeeew) ? Run around the gaslamp district in SD screaming "The end is near ! The end is near !" ?
    :eek: :D

BTW: I just ordered a 12"PB Superdrive and 40gig iPod to make sure I get at least one decent present this year :D

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have two friends who went sky diving to celebrate round-numbered birthdays. Any thoughts of being a daredevil?

8. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

you know, the more I think about this skydiving thing, the better it sounds...

9. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am not big on birthdays. So for my 30th I am just going to hide. In fact I hate my birthday so much I usually am a crab for a couple of months before it. :rolleyes: We all have to have our little flaws. :D

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah sure. Actually, if I settled to act my age, I'd probably be hurting. :D I'm just happy that I'm not looking my age. With another one coming tomorrow, I should just forget about counting entirely! :eek:

Hope you have a good birthday! :)

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

at one time, that was really old for me...i was a rock musician and that was a line that the industry used to draw...before all those reunions started happening and we saw bands like the eagles, aerosmith, and others get back together for money for the middle age and senior citizenhood...btw...the original members of duran duran are back together now and they said they are proud they all still have their hair ;)

when roger daltrey of the who turned 30, the press asked him, "i thought you said that you hope you die before you grow old? what of that, roger?"...and from a generation that told people to not trust people over 30

turning 30 is definitely a turning point and marks the day that you are no longer considered to be "young" and you are far from teenagehood

and i think more than any other age, there is this nagging question of, "what have i done with my life...and what do i have left to do while i still have the energy or freedom"...it was that way for me in a big way and at the same time it was depressing

when you turn 30 this november, i reach middle age at 40 but i don't consider this as nearly as big as turning 30 was

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Which reminds me... Monday I have to order Simon & Garfunkel concert tickets. They have reunited for a tour. I can't believe that the guy who wrote the lyrics "Asking only workman's wages, I coming looking for a job" ("The Boxer" from Bridge Over Troubled Water) is charging so much for tickets! Another S&G lyric more appropriate to this thread: "How terribly strange to be 70" ("Old men" from Bookends).

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

those guys are great

i wanted to see csn&y last year but didn't get to..work schedules

unless i go to a MAJOR city, of which there are none near me...i have to see my band of choice on a work night...it sucks

when i lived in london, there was always a weekend night for a major act ... like clapton, he will rent out a hall a week or more in a row so you can catch him in concert, no matter what your schedule is

14. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

wait, I said 30 ! <cough> I am only turning 30 ! Ouch, my back hurts...:D

Anyway, I wanted to add something for people who are afraid of getting 'old' (it's ok, really)

Picasso once said:"It takes a long time to grow young"

I have partied more in the last five years than in the first 25 years of my life. My parents are retired and are having a blast traveling and enjoying life. Every age has its moments. Sure, you are getting closer to death every year, but that is pretty much the same for everybody since birth. There is no way to tell how many years you have left, so don't live too much in future, make the most out of the present (ok, a little bit of planning ahead helps, too ;)).

As an artist, I learn a little bit more every day, I couldn't do what I do today a few years ago and it is only getting better. Acquired knowledge enriches my life bit by bit. I realize that I have not figured it all out yet, in spite of what I thought when I was 20 :D

Unfortunately, we live in a society where youth and money seem to matter the most. How can you ever be happy living like this ? You are going to spend half your life chasing the money, and the other half hiding behind a mask looking for the fountain of youth...or just looking silly. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll conclude with another quote (Chinese proverb actually): "happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have"

...and I am still open for suggestions for my actual birthday. A S&G concert ? That won't make me feel any younger...

15. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i thought that was supposed to be one' 21st birthday;)

17. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

... I just went to two bachelor's parties in a row...I am good for a while on that front ;)

But hey, it is a good suggestion :D

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised you were old enough to know who Simon and Garfunkel were. ;)

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

um... look for that AARP membership solicitation? :p

20. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I did the skydiving thing for my 25th. It was a blast. I'd do that "something I'd never thought I'd do" daredevil type stuff or the huge blowout full of just about every family and friend you could imagine. Either one makes for great memories.

An early happy birthday to you. I'm still a couple of years off from 30, but it's comin' up quick.

21. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

My sister had an album ;) I definitely remember the picture of that tall guy with the curly hair standing behind that short guy...it was kind of weird, even at the time.
    And who could forget The Lemonhead's 'Mrs Robinson' cover in the early 90s. I was in my 20s and grunge was all the rage :D

not sure they could really help me out that much

My birthday is on a monday, so I might celebrate on the week-end before and after. Maybe some dare devil gig first, and then a good party...that way I have something to brag about when I see all my friends :p
    thanks for the wishes

22. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Ok, today is the day...I am officially entering the best age :D

anyway, nothing too dramatic planned: I am going to some friends place for my birthday cake tonight. Tomorrow we are going to climb a mountain with some other friends and on saturday I am going to have a big fondue party featuring 7 pounds of cheese, countless bottles of wine and again, 'a few' friends...damn it is good to have friends. I am also planning a little video projector installation at my place, where people can navigate through panoramic QuicktimeVR shots of some summits in Switzerland (http://usa.myswitzerland.com/en/products/USP/panos/jungfraujoch_10_7_h.htm) while eating fondue and drinking white wine.

Just felt like sharing ;)

to infinity and beyond !

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Happy 30th B-Day etoiles. That is a beautiful panoramic view. Thank you for sharing. Did you buy anything Apple? Fondue was very popular here in the US back in the 60's and 70's.

24. etoiles thread starter macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Thanks wdlove ! The cool thing about the view is that you can click on the names of other summits which takes you to a new panorama etc. It is especially nice if you travelled there and know/recognize some of those places. Kind of ties everything together. I am originally from the south (in the alps), but grew up in the north, which is a whopping 200miles appart...

Fondue definitely has this 'communal' feeling, I can see how it must have been popular in the 60's. I think it is a great way to get some interaction going around the table. My American and British friends usually need a little bit of direction at the beginning of the evening (stirr, don't just dip the bread in the cheese. And look each other in the eyes when you say 'cheers') but after a glass of wine (or two) everybody is a champion :D . Plus it reminds me of home of course (little tear in the corner of the eye).

As for Apple gear, I bought a 12PB superdrive, 40gig iPod and all sorts of cables, bags, sleeves etc. Upgraded to Panther, of course. I also just ordered a photo album through the iPhoto store and bought a few songs on iTMS. This stuff rocks !