What to do? On monday I bought a gaming PC (I also own a MBP)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Winstonp, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Heres' the deal...
    I bought a gaming PC so that I could

1. Watch TV, have a Machine specifically for TV and Movies (A Virtual Television)

2. play counterstrike, Star Wars Empire at War, and all of the PC games that were unavailable on the mac.

My MBP did none of these, nor did my 700m dell laptop.

What I ended up with was:
    from the Fujitsu Outlet:
    N6220 Laptop
    17'' LCD
    internal TV tuner
    2X100GB hard drives (2.5'' laptop) 4200rpm
    bought an extra 40gb 7200rpm for 50 bucks
    1gb Ram
    PM 1.83GHZ
    256mb X600 (not 1600)

Looking at my setup now, I could just use bootcamp for games. What should I do?
    I see several options..

1. Sell the Fujitsu, buy a LCD TV, play games on my MBP (is gaming really that good????)

2. keep my setup and just roll with what I've got?

3. Something else?

4. Cry in the corner

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Unlucky mate!
    I'd say get rid - and get an LCD TV and some external storage for your MBP. Its the one thing that you will need if you want to use it as a media hub. Go for network drives if you're wireless.

I started to build a gaming rig last year, but stopped it midway in favour of an xbox 360. Now with Boot Camp the components are going to be sold off. Bit of a shame as I'd done a great job to date, but its got to go!

I'll be getting an MBP in midsummer (I'm trying to hang on for the Rev B) and using it on its own and with a 26" HD LCD TV. Can't wait!

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You could get a USB/firewire tuner for your Mac.

The MacBook Pro should be a lot faster than your current PC laptop in gaming, so I see little point in keeping the PC laptop for gaming.

4. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

You both make excelent points. However, it might make sense for me to keep the Fujitsu...

1. Buying an LCD TV and XP proffessional will cost me at least $700!
    2 . No Video Recorder with a TV......... However, I'd also have 3 computers. :(

Anyone else have any compelling arguments? If the MBP is stable, fast, and efficiant with games...then there is a strong argument for selling the fujitsu. Even so, I should wait and see how bootcamp unfolds before I act. Does that make sense?

5. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Do you really think so? Does anyone else think so?

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Yup - the MBP will be a lot better. Performs to the same level as its PC counterparts (I remember a quote saying that the MBP just outperforms a PC laptop with a 2ghz Pentium M and the same graphics card) so there is no reason to keep the PC lappy.

Plus the add-on tuners for Macs are great - anything with EyeTV. A colleague of mine is getting an Intel iMac and getting the small USB digital TV tuner for it (10% off at the Apple Store at the mo) as a direct result of yesterdays release.

Win XP Pro can be had fairly cheaply (neweggs OEM prices are good apparantly).

So, I think sell the PC lappy, and the new desktop. Get a half decent LCD TV (remember about the refresh rate!) and a external tuner - and you're all good to go...

7. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I like the way you think. Every Point you make is great. I'm going to give it until next week to see what gaming performance issues and incompatabilities (if any) arise, before I make the move. But your suggestions are great and I may follow them all exactly.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

9. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I just put it on CL...maybe ill get a bite

10. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I put the pc for sale in the sales forum...as a feeler.

I just installed windows on my MBP...will be testing shortly.