what to do on valentines...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mnkeybsness, Feb 9, 2004.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

alright here it is...

i'm not really one to get into holidays... or even valentines... this, being the first valentines day that i have a girlfriend on, i am obligated to celebrate the two of us. i decided that i'm going to surprise her...

well here's the thing... we've already done the romantic dinner for two at a nice restaurant (multiple times) and it's getting old. i want to do something fun, crazy, spontaneous, completely out of the ordinary. i want to have FUN... lots of FUN running around and being crazy. i know that she will enjoy it, so don't scold me for not wanting to do the classic v-day stuff...

does anyone have any suggestions to what we can do? keep in mind that i live in minnesota where there is tons of snow and it is fricken cold outside.

the one thing that has already been suggested is to go to the indoor mini golf place in rosedale (10 minutes from where i live)...

every suggestion is welcome.

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Being in Minn. I would suggest that may be a sleigh ride would tickle her fancy. Depending on how close (sexually) the two of you are, you might give her a spa day. Then pick her up by limo to bring her back to your place. There the Living room and bedroom would be lit by literally a hundred candles. From there it is about her, and her only. Forget about your needs and desires. When she asks about you, tell her tonight is all about her, not you. Rose petals in the bed are a nice touch. And if you can get a friend to help; have them draw a bath with rose petals in the water.

4. alxths macrumors 6502

Well, being the anti-corporate-created-materialistic-consumption-driven-cheapening-our-most-cherished-emotion kinda guy that I am. If I absolutely had to do something around that date, I would probably celebrate an anti-valentine's day where we spend absolutely no money at all... you dont' really seem like that kidn of person though, sooo...

The kind of fun that you're wanting can't really be planned.. so I'd say the best thing you can do is go somewhere, anywhere, and just try to be in a 'fun' state of mind.. the rest should really fall in to place.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is the Univ. of Minn. running any events you might go to?

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

a few ideas...

go to the winter carnival and play around there for a while

go some place like buck hill for tubing. then some hot chocolate and a hot tub, if possible.

hit up the nook in st. paul, take the challenge, impress her with your eating talents, give her the shirt asking if she has had her nookie on any given day.

scavenger hunt in the MOA.

if it is warm enough, go to the sculpture garden (you know, the one with the cherry and spoon). if not, go to the greenhouse thing right there/the art museum (it has been warmer for the past week, so this could happen).

depending on how comfortable with her you are, you could go see the vagina monologues. lots of schools put it on for v-day and donate profits to women's orgs. i know my school (carleton) does, UofM probably does the same. this would be a way to express care for women in general.

take her to dinner at a nice, but more funky restaurant (like jazzmine's).

any combination of the above would be good. i will try to think of more when i have some more time. like other people said, v-day is about her. but i would say it's about you, too. do something you will be comfortable doing and will enjoy. make the day about being TOGETHER, and everything else will fall into place.

7. alxths macrumors 6502

You wouldn't be referring to Carleton University, in ottawa, would you?

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Maybe a local Church is having a Valentines event. I know a local Chuch in our area is having one. A romatic meal. Some entertaniment. It ends by 9pm so they is still plenty of time for other reomatic ideas.

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Take my advice.

Don't do too much on your first Valentine's Day, because if you are still dating her next year, you will have to out do yourself and the same goes for the third year.

By the time the fifth year rolls around you will have to buy her a Mercedes, take her on a world trip, and buy her a trunk full of diamonds...

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Do you know this from personal experience, Dippo? Which did she like best? The Mercedes, the trip, or the diamonds?

11. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

those are some good suggestions...

but i'm really trying to avoid the corporate inspired romantic flowers and "all about her" crap... i want it to be "all about us" and the way we really are... a happy couple that isn't just a couple, but best friends... the sculpture garden is a possibility... but walking around and looking at art gets lame...

keep em coming... i know other people out there need new, fresh ideas that get away from the regular v-day crap.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Movies are always a good date. If you are feeling especially generous, take her to a chick flick. In any case, make it something upbeat, not one full of blood and guts. "Something's Gotta Give" or "50 First Dates" would be better than "Cold Mountain". If you go to a movie theater in an area that's full of night life, you might have fun just wandering around, and then get a late night snack.

13. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

nope, carleton college in northfield, mn. i do know of this other carleton, though. i used to work in our media relations office, and one of my jobs was to go through and keep track of all the mentions of our school. there was one article from a news service that talked about carleton university and had to specify that it was different from carleton college. i found that quite funny.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

study bio...

oh wait, that's what I'll be doing...alone...by myself...

great...

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Another idea: See if you can get a Valentine's day appointment at a portrait studio, such as ones they have at J.P. Penney stores. Get whatever portrait package and print size suits your budget, and you'll end up with a nice photo of the two of you to hang on the wall or put on a dresser or desk.

16. Apple //e macrumors 6502

whatever you do, do it friday night. it would be a total surprise, you beat the crowd, and you thumb yer nose at the consumerbased marketing based society we live in

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I got my girlfriend a CD she's been wanting for the past four years and it only cost me $55! (insert empty wallet here) Funny thing is, she told me she didn't want to do anything for valentines day since it's a commercialized holiday and meaningless, so I didn't let my boss know I wanted the day off and she got really upset at me, so I told my boss if at all possible, let me get off, so I rescheduled and took more weekday hours so I could get off early afternoon but then she said she is going to work until 7 pm on valentine's day. I'm thinking we'll exchange gifts, go out for dinner, and maybe see a movie or something. We both have work on Sunday morning so we won't be able to stay out too late. Really, just as long as you spend the day with the person you love, it shouldn't matter much what you are doing...even if it makes you want to pull out your hair trying to schedule it in. :p

18. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i do photography... i would rather take them myself :)

19. Apple //e macrumors 6502

1) prepare gear for both and take her out on a dayhike with picnic lunch. yes you have to prepare and lug everything and dont forget the tp. be back to comfort before nightfall. wink wink. dont forget the red wine

2) pick a whole dookieload of flowers from yer neighbor´s yard and tape them to her car. if theres a lot of sunlight, use blue boat tape so you dont ruin her paint job. you really need a looooot of flowers to pull this off properly

3) cook dinner for her. not too meaty nor spicy. easily digestible is the word. wink wink. extra points for candles

4) show up during her class/work friday morning with breakfast, and if you can afford it, for everyone else. make an ass of yerself. you only live once

5) random overnight road trip. just pick a direction and go without thinking. youll be surprised at the people you meet.go to canada. its near you, foreign, and the people are the nicest youll ever meet.

6) anything but movie/dinner, school/church activity

and do it all friday, so you can wake up saturday together and never have to get up from bed

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

plus that way, they can be nudes

21. iGav macrumors G3

what to do on Valentines Day...??

Don't be prosaic... so that rules out flowers, manufactured cards, restaurants or the cinema.... all of which are totally devoid of imagination.

Do be creative and imaginative... focus on the subtle, little details, for example if she works, ring her boss and arrange a couple of days holiday without her being aware, pack her bags and whisk her away for a few days to somewhere you've never been before... I recommend Monaco ;) that never fails but to impress, but you may consider NY or maybe Boston.. or even Montreal or somewhere she's never been, but has maybe hinted or mentioned in passing that she'd love to visit.

Again, focus on the details, it's the little things such as having everything planned and arranged, but that appear to be both spontaneous and exciting...

I don't however think, such things should be limited to Valentines Day... ;)

22. iGav macrumors G3

that's cool.... ;)

23. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Dating fun with firearms!!!
    Go to an indoor gunrange and show her how you can squeeze off a few. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

24. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

"Another year when I have to send a Valentine's card to my hand."
    – Cat, Red Dwarf

:D