What to do? : PowerMac G3 B&W

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zali0n, Feb 14, 2007.

1. zali0n macrumors regular

Hey guys,

At work I've been given a B&W PowerMac G3 to play with. It's a 400Mhz machine with 256MB memory. I've decided to upgrade the hard disk (not sure which type) and add some more memory.

I've already installed 10.4.6 on there and it runs fine.... but i'm just wondering what else I can use it for! I don't have any direct access to the internet but I can easily download programs and transfer them via my USB key!

Do you guys have any idea what I could use the machine for?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Word processing seems useful. Does it have Appleworks on it? There were some nice games for it. Many people use machines like that for personal servers. It was a nice machine at the time and there should still be software for it. Do you use computers for anything besides the internet now? If so, there's your answer.

3. RacerX macrumors 65832

That system can take quite a bit of hardware upgrading, so it makes a good foundational system for many things.

Pretty much the answer to your question depends on what need you have for a computer. If it is in good working order, there really isn't any limit as to what you could do with it. I know many people who would consider that a pretty advanced system (even in it's current configuration).

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Depenfin on your liking you can do quite a bit with it. As stated there are quite a few hardware upgrades you can do it. I use my B&W to run older programs and hardware that I can not on my Mac Pro. I pulled out the modem and replaced it with a serial port so I could use some older audio interfaces. I am running OS 9.2.2 on mine. I am able to run older audio programs such as Performer, Master Trax Pro, and I even have Photoshop 6 loaded on it. Makes a great internet computer too. All upgrades for it are rather inexpensive. You could even use it as a music server to house all you iTunes playlists on.

5. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've installed a few apps that I've been wanting to play for a while now namely Quicksilver and Nvu.

I've got a hard disk as well which i want to upgrade it with but it looks like someone has damaged the screw head on the drive tray so I can't get the damn thing out :mad:

Does anyone know what sort of spec hard disk I need to upgrade it with?

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The hard drive depends on if it is SCSI or IDE. I think most B&W are IDE, so any PATA drive will work. I prefer using either Seagate or Western Digital drives.

I had the same problem with the stripped screw on both my B&W and my quicksilver. only design feature I did not like about those machines.

7. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a funny thing! It was working fine a minute ago i picked it up and moved it to a new desk, plugged it back it and now it won't switch on!

How strange.....:confused:

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Stupid question but does the outlet by the new desk work?

my old place had bad outlets and it really made trouble shooting a pain. Also check the inside. maybe the RAM dot bumped of something.

9. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this happens on my girlfriends iMac G3 as well. When ever it gets picked up and moved we have to leave it for about 30mins to settle before we can switch it on.....we've always called it "travel sickness" :rolleyes: