What to do to afford 24 inch dell monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by G5Unit, Aug 19, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Hi. As some people may know, I am saving up to buy a 24 inch Dell monitor. But like most people I can't afford it right now. Now I am selling my gamecube and I have an old 17 inch CRT that could be sold. Also when I have a 24 inch monitor, I wont need the one I am using right now. Basically, I have a bunch of stuff to sell from hockey skates, a never been used top of the line snowboard(I have my own), I could probably also sell my mini shelf system that are the speakers for my computer. What I am asking is what would be the best way to bring my budget up to maybe 700 dollars? I babysit once in a while usually making 40 bucks. And even if I were to make 700 dollars, would the monitor be the best way to spend it? I do video editing and have an X800XT video card, so I would want to use that card to its full potential. Also I play games, work in photoshop, and I hate the dot pitch on my minitor right now(Proview 19 inch), I just need more space. So some tips would be nice on how to make the money! Thanks!

-G5Unit

This is where I am selling my gamecube, I have an offer pending, I will give the offer amount on request through PM.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=144207

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Since you do video editing, go to a few people's family reunion or picnics or something and tape them. Then edit them something nice and sell them for $15 each to everyone that was there. :eek:

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....have you considered buying a different LCD monitor, maybe a 17" one, using it as your primary and your Proview as a second monitor? You'd be able to afford a very good one for just a few hundred $$. Then when you save up more $$ you can replace the Proview with another LCD. I use 2 LCD's and prefer that as I get more screen space than 1 large monitor...just a thought anyway, without knowing "how" you like to work...oh yeah!

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If you wanna play the "woo hoo risk!!" game, I'd buy some stock (through my parents, but they trust me in matters about economics/investing) in a company that I KNOW would make me some money.

Yeah, you need a few thousand to make any tangible difference, but.. investing is fun!

Geez, I'm such a nerd.

Hmm.. I'd say.. STREET PERFORMER!
    I want to do that, but I get injured too easily. :(

...no one wants to see me drawing graphs on a corner. :( :( :(

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If I was in your shoes I would go and buy the 20" Dell widescreen LCD and save the $$$.

Unless of course you absolutely must have those extra 4 inches.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, it is fun- especially when it pays off. But in your case G5Unit saving up your $$$ in your credit union/bank account is a better idea.

8. wako macrumors 65816

^ Im with stupid here... get a job and buy whatever the hell you want.... thats what I did and I have 2 2005FPWs :)

9. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

Start pimping and sell smack to your prostitutes.

10. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Invest in coke.
    Tell all your friends to buy it...

Quick money... hehehe

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I got my Dell 24" on Thursday.

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC :p

Dell have them on offer in the UK at £690, down from £860.

Well worth every penny, WOW looks amazing, iTunes can display all the colums without chopping anything of and i can get 2 web pages side by side.

Also doubles as a heater. :rolleyes:

So that should save money in the winter.

12. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

What did you do? I want to be able to afford this monitor within the next months. Again I am selling th monitor that I am using and maybe even the old CRT that I have(8 years old and works like a charm).

13. azrussell132 macrumors member

azrussell132

Part time job? Or maybe a full time job if you don't have one of those...
    Has always gotten me what I wanted. :p

14. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I am only 13, what is there to do? I work for my Dad's buisness every once in a while. I scan stuff and I designed his letterhead for 40 bucks(I payed for tiger with that extra 40). Is there any kind of thing I could do to get a 400 dollar check in my hand doing the things I like(video editing, photoshop, photography with a tiny nikon 7900 camera).

I once made this thread but now I am on another mission.

15. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

i had a dream that the 2405FPW's went on sale to $350 and when i woke up i got on my comp and was sadly disapointed :(

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, general yard work, washing windows,
    computer tutorials and repair, shopping service for senior citizens, trash/junk removal and all kinds of small chores.

Many people have started fantastic small businesses by placing a simple 2 line ad in the local papers.

17. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I also have another question. Does anyone have the DELL 24 inch display that they are willing to sell?

18. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

You ask the funniest questions. In the funniest order.

19. Tahko macrumors regular

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

With all the online discount codes, what does the price of the Dell 24" work down to?

I'm not an American, and I have never used a discount due to that reason. In fact, I have never been able to take advantage of those refurb discounts at Apple.com either. :mad:

21. godbout macrumors regular

Hey Man,

Do you do well in school? I mean you could start tutoring younger kids, you can get some pretty good money doing that (for your age). Also, I could imagine you could learn some software that helps lots of people (like tax software??) and you could either do it for them or teach them how to use it for some cash. I know that most of the work that you can do at that age is labour so you can always look down that path (as others have mentioned).

What is the best price for these 24"ers anyways?... maybe I should pick one up... (floats into a daydream about using 15" PB on 24" LCD)

22. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Weird.
    Yesterday morning, I had a dream that quad-Alpha 1GHz servers were going for $120 on eBay. I was sad to find out when I woke up that they were still more like $12 000.

23. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I don't want peoples finacial future dependant on me, so no taxes. And when it comes to school, I have one of the worlds shortest attention spans. I know all of the stuff in school, I just do other stuff then start my homework at 9 o clock at night.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's a great suggestion! I know that at least, around here, parents will pay a fortune if they think they're kids are being "bettered." Tutoring definitely included.