what to do w/ bad repair

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dorqiekat, Nov 13, 2006.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I got my powerbook back from Apple for an out of warranty HD and optical drive replacement. Everything is in working order and I got it back in a timely manor except... the optical drive came back sounding worse than it went in as.

Okay, so I don't really think that there was anything wrong with the optical drive but the genius said that it could have a little problem and since I'm paying for the repair anyway, we might as well fix that too. That's all fine by me but now it sounds horrible. It makes the regular optical drive noises when it's sucking in the CD, spitting it out, and running it... but it's just about a hundred times louder. I don't understand why it's so loud. And when it sucks in a CD, the first 3 seconds spinning has loud clicks that weren't there before.

Is this a common problem? Is this worth brining it back to Apple? And is this something they will fix?

I don't feel like it's a normal noise... I've had my PB for 2 years and it's never made that noise under the first optical drive. And I've used other macs that made a noise like that either.

Help.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Your repair is under warranty.

All you can do is to take it back in and hope they will replace the drive.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm just worried that they'll say that the drive works... I'll just have to deal with the noise.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, it looks like you have two options: either take it back to Apple to find out if they agree that the noise is a problem or not, or just keep it in fear that they won't fix it? :confused: :rolleyes: Easy decision.

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true... if you put it that way............:eek:

6. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i would say take it back to apple if it wasnt done right the 1st time

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

heh.. i'm just teasin' - but no, really, take it back. what have you got to lose (besides that noise, that is!).

8. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah you have nothing to loose my taking it back...go for it man!