Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
True, there's no 15" MBP right now, but there is this:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera

Your price: $1,099.00

infz

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
(or hate the MacBook keyboard like I do--in which case why not save for a MBP?)

I still consider the Macbook keyboard the nicest keyboard I've ever used. Then again, I've never tried a MBP ;)

I wouldn't buy RAM then install it.

Nevertheless, it would probably be cheaper to buy the RAM from a local shop and have them install it (usually that's for free) rather than purchasing Apple's.

My only other option is to get the 2.0Ghz model with 1 gig of RAM. Should I buy that rather than the 1.83Ghz/512mb model?

Yes!! If you can. If only for the RAM upgrade, if this fits your price range, even if it means you get a refurb instead, go for it. That's my opinion :)

And get a sleeve too!

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
i'd get a refurb MB with at least 1gb ram, a case, and bank/invest the rest of the money.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
By the way, don't let the fact that it's refurbished scare you. Most of the time, you're LESS likely to have issues with a refurb than you are a new product.

Remember, that refurbished product was new once and it had problems, now it's been corrected and rigorously tested (more so than a new device) before being offered for sale again.

A new device has gone through minimal testing and is susceptible to the same issues that caused the other device to require refurbishing.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I would go with the high end white macbook. You will definitely appreciate the SuperDrive plus a bigger hard drive., and it has 1GB already in it which combined makes it worth the extra $200....Just to upgrade the ram alone is worth about $100, so fork out the extra $100 and get the higher end macbook.

High School Students cannot qualify for education discounts. It is allowing you to see education pricing because you are clicking on K-12 School Faculty or Staff, which is only for faculty, not students.

I have never bought a refurb but a lot of people on here do with great success, and it still comes with a 1-year warranty so you shouldn't have any issues, plus you'll save $200 that you can use for AppleCare or accessories.

BoA*

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2005
FL
You wouldn't be from Clearwater would you?
---

Do what I did, I bought a White Macbook Refurbished and then with the extra 350$ I bought a case and ram for my iMac and other 'things' ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.