What to do with 1st Gen ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mac2thefuture, Nov 3, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have a 1st gen :apple:TV 40Gig collecting dust - it just doesn't get used any more.
    I fancy getting the 2nd Gen for Christmas as the airplay feature really appeals to me.
    That leaves me wondering - what can i then do with my 1st gen model??

Please, should you respond, keep your suggestions in laymen's terms ;)

:D & Thanks

2. macrumors P6

Intell

The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room. They also make good car media players with a few modifications.

3. macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

If you have kids, you could give it to them. The ATV1 is great for storing TV shows or the occasional movie, and IIRC it doesn't need to be connected to a desktop to work.

Or you could sell it and help pay for that ATV2 you're looking at.

4. macrumors P6

Intell

I almost forgot to mention one last thing. In the event your cook top/stove/range breaks, you can still cook upon the top of the Apple TV 1G.

5. macrumors 65816

marzer

If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, you can load the Firecore (firecore.com) and Remote HD (remotehd.com) modifications to enable Airplay capability.

6. macrumors 6502

The original :apple:TV was pretty versatile. So the suggestions up above are valid. But you will find having a laptop and an :apple:TV2 renders the first generation completely obsolete I'm afraid. Sell it. :cool:

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, quite a few possibilities it would appear :D Ive beeb googling and you tubing myself and another option is to make it either a server or i could even install OS X on it (although those options may be too complicated for me).

The search continues - Thanks

8. macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

You could install OSX Leopard on it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The hardware can't handle the OS well enough to justify the work, let alone the results. It might work as a server, but with only a 40GB HDD, you probably won't get much mileage from that route either.

If you wanted to, you could upgrade the internal HDD.

9. macrumors 6502

Or use it as a proper HTPC and install CrystalBuntu on it. Linux install specifically for the ATV1 - fit a Broadcom CrystalHD card and you can get full 1080p video through XMBC, run BitTorrent server, etc, etc.

10. macrumors newbie

If you know some *nix (ssh, bash) or want to know some, you could use it as a small web server or something. Maybe put some webcams on it and let it stream the video.

11. macrumors 6502a

I installed Leopard on my ATV1 and now use it as an always on iTunes 'server'.
    You can store media on the network or on USB, so the small HD isn't really a problem for this. I access it through Appel Remote Desktop to manage my library. It is pretty slow and a bit painful to work with for library management, but once items have been added, it serves them up with no issues.

I like the fact that the ATV is small and low powered for this media server role, but if I hadn't already had one sitting around gathering dust, I wouldn't have gone out looking for it. A new low end mini would have been easier to set up and more versatile.

If you aren't interested in in taking the device apart or in imaging drives, I'd suggest selling it. The first gen Apple TVs seem to be in pretty high demand from hobbyists who are into those things.

12. macrumors member

IMHO ATV2 doesn't do more than ATV1, I actually consider it does less as it doesn't have an internal HD, can't mount NAS drives etc.

I'm delaying my ATV upgrade until 1080p output support.

If you are really interested in airplay 99USD is not a lot ;-)

13. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

This is what I did with my ATV1 (actually my second one), I use it as a server for iTunes and all of my media. I have an external 2TB drive with my entire iTunes library on it and then use ChickenVNC to log into it. Works great, cheap little server, compact and very apple compatible. :D

14. macrumors 6502

Actually, the AppleTV 2 doesn't require a computer anymore. True, it can't store its own content, but iCloud allows you to instantly stream anything that you've purchased straight from the iTunes servers.

You used to need the content downloaded to your computer first, but that is no longer the case with the new OS.

15. macrumors 68000

These are very useful in the home, kitchen garage and garden.

1. Heat your home with pleasant radiant heating by inserting several in the floors.

2. Use as a hot plate or chocolate melter in the kitchen.

3. Place on the car's motor during freezing weather.

4. Grow weed in a heated greenhouse during the winter, corner the local market.

Or, simply unplug to cure global warming overnight.

16. macrumors 6502

Paratel

^^^ that is awesome, you could fry an egg on it... lol

Use as Coffee Mug warmer

17. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

This allows you to stream movies you already purchased and downloaded to iTunes? or just Photos, Apps, and TV Shows, and Music?

18. macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen Movies become available for streaming yet, but would expect that they will be eventually. THeir exclusion almost has to be a licensing issue rather than a technical one.

19. macrumors 6502

I wouldn't waste my money on Firecore, which is really stuff that can be done for free. Can't believe people fall for buying their stuff.

Echoing HellDiverUK, I highly recommend Sam's Crystalbuntu image, which can run on a 4gb flash drive, and you don't even have to hack your ATV1 anymore. Boots into XBMC and you get all your media center goodness there, including AirPlay.

20. macrumors 68020

Agreed. I'm still amazed that my ATV1 can crunch through 30mbit/s 1080p AVC (H@L4.1) with no trouble at all.

21. macrumors 6502a

With no analog audio outputs, my ATV2 is not useable in my system as a music player, so I continue to use my ATV1 as my music player. I need the analog outputs to feed the "Zone 2" amp for my patio speakers. ATV1 is also better for music because it holds my entire music collection locally, so there is no need to leave a computer on for streaming.

I just love the ability to control music selection and volume via the Remote app on my iPhone when I'm sitting out on the patio.

22. macrumors newbie

I recently installed Leopard on mine. It works great as an iTunes server but the performance is horrible for anything besides that. I have a 2 TB drive attached to the usb port to hold my media. With the use of VNC I can control it from my other Macs and my iPad. It has been running 24/7 for about a month now without any issues.

23. macrumors member

I have mine jailbroken with a 2 TB hd plugged in the back with movies, tv shows, and the like that I have ripped.

If it's not jailbroken, I don't really see a reason to keep around the ATV.

24. macrumors 68020

hacked atv1 > atv2. both stock ... a draw imo depending on your needs.

25. macrumors newbie

I did this and it's awesome.

http://www.crystalbuntu.com/

Replaced the wifi card with the HD video card. Replaced the HD with an SSD. Downloaded a bunch of XBMC addons. Very cool.