Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Hello,

I have a 1st gen :apple:TV 40Gig collecting dust - it just doesn't get used any more.
I fancy getting the 2nd Gen for Christmas as the airplay feature really appeals to me.
That leaves me wondering - what can i then do with my 1st gen model??

Please, should you respond, keep your suggestions in laymen's terms ;)

:D & Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room. They also make good car media players with a few modifications.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
If you have kids, you could give it to them. The ATV1 is great for storing TV shows or the occasional movie, and IIRC it doesn't need to be connected to a desktop to work.

Or you could sell it and help pay for that ATV2 you're looking at.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I almost forgot to mention one last thing. In the event your cook top/stove/range breaks, you can still cook upon the top of the Apple TV 1G.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, you can load the Firecore (firecore.com) and Remote HD (remotehd.com) modifications to enable Airplay capability.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room.

If you have kids, you could give it to them

The original :apple:TV was pretty versatile. So the suggestions up above are valid. But you will find having a laptop and an :apple:TV2 renders the first generation completely obsolete I'm afraid. Sell it. :cool:

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
Thanks, quite a few possibilities it would appear :D Ive beeb googling and you tubing myself and another option is to make it either a server or i could even install OS X on it (although those options may be too complicated for me).

The search continues - Thanks

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks, quite a few possibilities it would appear :D Ive beeb googling and you tubing myself and another option is to make it either a server or i could even install OS X on it (although those options may be too complicated for me).

The search continues - Thanks

You could install OSX Leopard on it, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The hardware can't handle the OS well enough to justify the work, let alone the results. It might work as a server, but with only a 40GB HDD, you probably won't get much mileage from that route either.

If you wanted to, you could upgrade the internal HDD.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
Or use it as a proper HTPC and install CrystalBuntu on it. Linux install specifically for the ATV1 - fit a Broadcom CrystalHD card and you can get full 1080p video through XMBC, run BitTorrent server, etc, etc.

tobiastimpe

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
If you know some *nix (ssh, bash) or want to know some, you could use it as a small web server or something. Maybe put some webcams on it and let it stream the video.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
I installed Leopard on my ATV1 and now use it as an always on iTunes 'server'.
You can store media on the network or on USB, so the small HD isn't really a problem for this. I access it through Appel Remote Desktop to manage my library. It is pretty slow and a bit painful to work with for library management, but once items have been added, it serves them up with no issues.

I like the fact that the ATV is small and low powered for this media server role, but if I hadn't already had one sitting around gathering dust, I wouldn't have gone out looking for it. A new low end mini would have been easier to set up and more versatile.

If you aren't interested in in taking the device apart or in imaging drives, I'd suggest selling it. The first gen Apple TVs seem to be in pretty high demand from hobbyists who are into those things.

ceraz

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
IMHO ATV2 doesn't do more than ATV1, I actually consider it does less as it doesn't have an internal HD, can't mount NAS drives etc.

I'm delaying my ATV upgrade until 1080p output support.

If you are really interested in airplay 99USD is not a lot ;-)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I installed Leopard on my ATV1 and now use it as an always on iTunes 'server'.
You can store media on the network or on USB, so the small HD isn't really a problem for this. I access it through Appel Remote Desktop to manage my library. It is pretty slow and a bit painful to work with for library management, but once items have been added, it serves them up with no issues.

This is what I did with my ATV1 (actually my second one), I use it as a server for iTunes and all of my media. I have an external 2TB drive with my entire iTunes library on it and then use ChickenVNC to log into it. Works great, cheap little server, compact and very apple compatible. :D

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
The first gens have one good thing that the 2G doesn't, the ability to be used without a computer. I suggest loading it up with media and taking it with you on vacations for use in the hotel room. They also make good car media players with a few modifications.

Actually, the AppleTV 2 doesn't require a computer anymore. True, it can't store its own content, but iCloud allows you to instantly stream anything that you've purchased straight from the iTunes servers.

You used to need the content downloaded to your computer first, but that is no longer the case with the new OS.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
These are very useful in the home, kitchen garage and garden.

1. Heat your home with pleasant radiant heating by inserting several in the floors.

2. Use as a hot plate or chocolate melter in the kitchen.

3. Place on the car's motor during freezing weather.

4. Grow weed in a heated greenhouse during the winter, corner the local market.

Or, simply unplug to cure global warming overnight.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Actually, the AppleTV 2 doesn't require a computer anymore. True, it can't store its own content, but iCloud allows you to instantly stream anything that you've purchased straight from the iTunes servers.

You used to need the content downloaded to your computer first, but that is no longer the case with the new OS.

This allows you to stream movies you already purchased and downloaded to iTunes? or just Photos, Apps, and TV Shows, and Music?

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
This allows you to stream movies you already purchased and downloaded to iTunes? or just Photos, Apps, and TV Shows, and Music?

I haven't seen Movies become available for streaming yet, but would expect that they will be eventually. THeir exclusion almost has to be a licensing issue rather than a technical one.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone, you can load the Firecore (firecore.com) and Remote HD (remotehd.com) modifications to enable Airplay capability.

I wouldn't waste my money on Firecore, which is really stuff that can be done for free. Can't believe people fall for buying their stuff.

Echoing HellDiverUK, I highly recommend Sam's Crystalbuntu image, which can run on a 4gb flash drive, and you don't even have to hack your ATV1 anymore. Boots into XBMC and you get all your media center goodness there, including AirPlay.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Or use it as a proper HTPC and install CrystalBuntu on it. Linux install specifically for the ATV1 - fit a Broadcom CrystalHD card and you can get full 1080p video through XMBC, run BitTorrent server, etc, etc.
Agreed. I'm still amazed that my ATV1 can crunch through 30mbit/s 1080p AVC (H@L4.1) with no trouble at all.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
With no analog audio outputs, my ATV2 is not useable in my system as a music player, so I continue to use my ATV1 as my music player. I need the analog outputs to feed the "Zone 2" amp for my patio speakers. ATV1 is also better for music because it holds my entire music collection locally, so there is no need to leave a computer on for streaming.

I just love the ability to control music selection and volume via the Remote app on my iPhone when I'm sitting out on the patio.

ComanWilson

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Nashvill, TN
I recently installed Leopard on mine. It works great as an iTunes server but the performance is horrible for anything besides that. I have a 2 TB drive attached to the usb port to hold my media. With the use of VNC I can control it from my other Macs and my iPad. It has been running 24/7 for about a month now without any issues.

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
I have mine jailbroken with a 2 TB hd plugged in the back with movies, tv shows, and the like that I have ripped.

If it's not jailbroken, I don't really see a reason to keep around the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.