What to do with a dead macbook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikelamb, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mikelamb macrumors newbie

Hi all, just signed up, although have been using this site for news, etc for a while now..

To cut a long story short, I've wanted a mac for a couple of years now, after saving for a while and being very tempted to splash my savings the mac mini, I waited for the macbook and bought myself a macbook 2.0 white as soon as it came out.. it was my baby, I loved it.. the nicest computer I've ever owned.

Until... one of my mates accidently spilt water all over it, it was very flukey how it happened so I feel bad blaming him entirely. However, we powered it down straight away and let it dry out for a day before turning it back on. It didn't work, it now wont boot and if i try and re install OSX, it cant find the HDD.

I thought I would try my luck with apple care (as i dried it out straight away, i hoped there would be no trace of water) but they spotted water damage and told me it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one :( :( :( Gutted, £900 wasted.

So, now I am left with a dead macbook and £900 out of pocket, the question is, what is best to do?

1) Ebay it for parts (the screen, battery, power supply, memory, optical drive?) and make some money back
    2) Blow it up like This Guy did and ask for donations in return for the video being posted on the internet?

Think I would be successful with option 2? If so.. how would you blow it up?

Suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated!

Mike

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

That is the stupidest hting I have heard. Seriously asking for money from strangers because of your friends mistake.

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I would suggest you check to see if you are insured in anyway against this happening. Such as home contents insurance. Otherwise just ebay it.

4. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Are you ok?

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i choose 2. thats awseome

6. mikelamb thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably covered on insurance, but parents recently put a massive claim through due to our house flooding, they dont want to claim again so soon :(

7. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about the flooding, what country are you in?

As for the MacBook, just ebay it.

8. iGav macrumors G3

Flooding? water damaged MacBook? ;)

9. mikelamb thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what your thinking, but its a bit late.. claims gone through now!

And i'm in the UK.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

also if you ordered with a credit card they offer insurance on everything you buy with them.

11. pianoman181 macrumors regular

12. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Good point!

13. mikelamb thread starter macrumors newbie

I will double check on the credit card thing, i did check their site but it didnt mention anything about insurance anwyhere..

14. iGav macrumors G3

In all honesty... your friend should offer to cover the costs of repair.

But by the sounds of it, if you can boot off the install disc, but can't find the HD, sounds like the HD's gone to me, that's all... otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot off the install disc at all.

15. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

also credit cards dont really advertise insurance, as cost them money... :mad: , do a google search.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd go talk to your friend, If someone did that to my iBook, I'd want money

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Are you forgetting that your computer is still coming on. Go get a new hard drive or test it out on an external firewire drive.

jon

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, seriously. I thought the battery was on fire and so I was putting it out. :D

19. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I agree with that. Even if it's a mistake, and they're a nice person, it's still their fault, and they should fund the repairs.

20. mikelamb thread starter macrumors newbie

Its going to cost them £900, and it was really an accident, they knocked something that knocked something that knocked the glass of water over it, its equally my fault for having the water so close.

And as for new HDD, it also needs a new logic board as at least the bit that handles charging is fried, which is why applecare say its written off.

21. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I am in the camp of asking your friend for the money, at least half if you think part of it is your fault.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Tell your friend to cough up the money...quickly too.

Bless

23. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

but of course wait till next tuesday...

24. UberMac macrumors 6502

If you're still out of ideas for what to do with the MacBook, you can always send it my way - I'll pay shipping...and give you a nice little contribution for your broken laptop!

Uber

25. timerollson macrumors 65816