What to do with a Sawtooth

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMpathetic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Hi y'all.

Just got my hands on a 450MHz G4 sawtooth. I want to turn it into my semi-main machine, but I don't exactly know what to do. All I know is, I have $300 to do it with. I do want to make this fairly extreme, as I am sacrificing my Powerbook to do this. (BTW:no I don't want a Mini)
    Current specs:
    512MB RAM
    20GB HD (7200RPM)
    Tiger
    DVD-ROM
    Zip
    Linksys wifi card
    I'll just use it to do some Web browsing and essentially be my home server. Maybe some PS fun as well. We don't have much to serve tho. Any ideas?

Thanks!:apple:

2. macrumors 603

mrkramer

the first think you want to do is Max the RAM. then get a faster and larger HD. I think with that model if you want to put in an HD larger than 128GB you will also need a new HD controller.

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

A processor upgrade is not really necessary for web browsing, or as a server. that HD is SATA not IDE so he would need a new HD controller to use it. the most important things to get it running faster are maxing the RAM, followed by a new HD controller and faster HD. after those if you still have extra money and the computer is running slower than you would like get a processor upgrade.

5. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

untitled

Thanks for the advice. I think that any leftover money I have I may use to buy some alcohol to make the case transparent.

Also, will Leopard run on it if it has a processor upgrade in it >867MHz?

6. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Leopard will probably be able to run on it if you use XPostfacto to install it, but I don't think it will run well. I would suggest sticking with Tiger or Panther on that machine. If you do want to go with Leopard though then I would sugest also upgrading the GPU.

7. thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

hmmm...

Wow... I completely overlooked xpostfacto! Duh! I think I may put it up for trade though.