1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What to do with an aging iMac G5...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wrldwzrd89, Jun 17, 2008.

1. macrumors demi-god

wrldwzrd89

I have two computers - a MacBook Pro (in my signature) and an iMac G5 (2.1 GHz, aftermarket upgraded to 300GB HDD and 2.5GB RAM). The thing's getting old - the SuperDrive in it won't burn discs (but will read them), and the internal iSight is completely broken. I currently use it with Tiger, for those old Classic games, but I'm wondering, especially with the possibility of it not being able to run Snow Leopard, if I should just retire the thing instead. I was running Mac OS X Leopard Server on it for a while, and it works as a server - just not as well as I had hoped it would. :(

2. macrumors 68000

tersono

I use an ancient G4-400 running Tiger as a basic media and file server (it also handles incoming VPN connections and is running an IRC/bitlbee server, too), and it does the job just fine - your G5 should handle that kinda thing with ease.

In the past, I've had the G4 working as a web & mail server without problems, although admittedly the P4 Linux box I'm using now is a lot quicker - again, though, your G5 should easily be up to that kinda use.

Personally, I find anything above the minimum spec for Leopard to be perfectly useable for just about anything short of Adobe CS3, so long as it has enough RAM. Of course, YMMV =]

3. macrumors 604

iShater

Out of curiosity, what VPN server do you use?