Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I am getting an Xraid (Xserve RAID I guess as its properly called) and I am curious what I should do with it. I am not yet sure on the specs which I assume will influence its capabilities greatly, but I am curious to know if anyone here has used an Xraid before, and can offer guidance on what types of hard drives they accept, etc.

If I recall correctly the current Xserve line requires special Apple only hard drives. The one I am getting (for free so I can't be picky) has 5x100GB hard drives in it currently, and I would gladly expand as long as it won't cost an arm and both legs. Any ideas?

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Well the Xserve RAID could be used for Mass Storage, we don't use an Xraid, but the Vtrak system.

On our current Xserve, we bought it with 1 1TB drive, and added the other 2 1TB drives later. No special harddrives at all. All though it did need a special Apple drive bay, to hold the drives, but other than that it was a standered 1TB SATAII drive.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Also note that depending on the model, it may require a specific HBA to connect it to (i.e. Fibre Channel or SCSI).

Azgar

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Welcome to my unhappy place. :rolleyes:

We have an Xserve RAID at work and we only have 9 of the drive bays populated. You have to have the Apple Drive Modules to put in a drive. The thing doesn't come with empty ADMs, just a bunch of blank inserts. Since they don't make the ADMs for this anymore, you'll end up paying an arm and a leg on eBay or the like to get them. They take PATA drives. As far as I know, you don't need any special type of PATA drive, and they appear to be still generally available.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Welcome to my unhappy place. :rolleyes:

We have an Xserve RAID at work and we only have 9 of the drive bays populated. You have to have the Apple Drive Modules to put in a drive. The thing doesn't come with empty ADMs, just a bunch of blank inserts. Since they don't make the ADMs for this anymore, you'll end up paying an arm and a leg on eBay or the like to get them. They take PATA drives. As far as I know, you don't need any special type of PATA drive, and they appear to be still generally available.

Crap, I don't really have any extra arms or legs! Looks like I will maybe be pulling out the 5 100GB drives in it and replacing them with 500GB drives vs. trying to fill the remaining bays.

Thats one thing that gets me about large servers: empty drive bay inserts. We got a large Dell server at work a few weeks ago and it only had empty inserts. We needed some caddies to put the drives in and Dell told us we had to order the caddies when we ordered the server. THAT WASN'T AN OPTION! Nowhere on the configuration site did it say "extra caddies." Ugh, after much arguing they finally let us buy some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.