What to do with extra Mac Mini's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GJ 545i, Mar 27, 2007.

1. GJ 545i macrumors newbie

I'll be upgrading/replacing a couple Mac mini's in my house (getting a Macbook and a mac pro) soon and will have a couple extra Mac Mini's sitting around. Any thoughts/ideas as to what these could be used for within my home network or home entertainment system?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

you can use one as an :apple:TV; connect it to the TV, get a BT KB+M, and set it to stream from other computers.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, you could always have hook it up to your TV and use it like an Apple TV.

...Or it could be curing cancer. Link.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Retrospect backup server
    Database server
    iTunes Uber-jukebox

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I say an iTunes JukeBox together with an Airport Express (I use a B/W G3 for this and it works great).

Just get rid of them. Macs can pile up easily, in case you weren't aware, I still have a number of Macs (ranging from old to very old) lying around and nowadays there is no way I can sell them.

To sell them off do it quickly before they are obsolete and are not worth the trouble to sell.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Could I have a mini for free if they're just going to lay around? :D
    My poor iBook and eMac died recently out of warranty and I'm down to one Mac. :eek: :(

But ... here's some ideas to make a mini useful:

Entertainment center:
    You could get the Apple DVI to Video adapter for $19 and hook it up to your older TV that way. Transfer videos over the network and you can watch iTunes stuff and downloaded video.

With a newer TV, it should probably have a DVI or VGA port you can use to do the same thing without spending the $19.

You can also get an EyeTV or something and record shows, like a DVR. And make it run Front Row on startup. I wonder if all Macs will get the :apple:TV software...?

Network:
    Use it as a wireless access point. Or have it serve as network storage by attaching a bundle of external HDs on it. You could even have a personal web server.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yup, media servers for music and video. Fantastic use for these little boxes.

Actually, I would use the second one as a file server or even a web server if you have a fixed IP.

9. GJ 545i thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I like the media server concept but is there a way to automatically transfer/sync media from another Mac (similar to the AppleTV? Would I still need to use the keyboard for any functionality or could everything be accomplished via the Apple remote?

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, as everyone said you can hook one up to your TV for a media center, which is probably the best use.

Or, you could install one in your car. You achieve one of my long time goals - install a computer in the bathroom! You could use one as a backup file server, setting other computers to auto-sync a particular folder(s) to it on a regular basis. You could donate it to charity.

Other than that you can, of course, always sell them.