What to do with found busted up iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by It'slillian, Jul 19, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

My son found an iphone 4 (I can't tell if it's 4 or 4s) while swimming in the ocean a week ago. It's completely busted...screen is smashed, showing rust on edges, sand in every place possible, won't even thing about powering on....it looks like it's been in there awhile. My question is what are my options of what to do with it? Appreciate your help!

2. zmagik, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

macrumors regular

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

It's beyond rice. The power & home buttons won't even let me press them down & there's so much sand in it I can't even get the plug in to try to connect to itunes or charging.
    Thanks for trying to help! I appreciate any ideas!

4. macrumors 65832

SR45

OP mentioned it looks as if it was in the water a while, rusted on the edges, and you think rice is the answer ? Salt water, rust, in a while, smashed screen, and sand, not to mention its a possible an older 4 or 4S... I say toss it

5. macrumors 68020

JarScott

You're not going to get a useable iPhone out of it. Give up and put it in the bin. Or try to find somewhere which will take it for a small value purely for recycle purposes.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there places to sell a phone this busted? (sorry for my ignorance, I'm just a mom trying to help her kid do something with his treasure)

7. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Throw it on Ebay. Explain in the auction the exact condition. But make it clear you are selling as is, no returns. Maybe get lucky and get a couple of dollars for your child.

8. macrumors member

The correct answer would be to return it to an Apple store. It will be the best option for a possible return to the owner.

If it was my property I'd like it returned so I can make the decision what to do with it. Pretty sad that others are advocating to sell it.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Can Apple identify the owner if it won't power on or allow a plug? I mean this phone does NOTHING!
    Again, I really do appreciate all the responses to my post :)

10. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Apple is not going to waste their time looking for the owner. It is not worth it to them to logically do so. Yes it would be nice of Apple, but not going to happen. Besides the owner is not going to be able to put it in for warranty or probably ever repair it. Are they? Little beyond that at this point in time. Hence the advocating to sell it. Not a sad thing, but reality. If it were my phone, it would have been already replaced and I would tell them to sell it as a reward to their child for finding it. Would have been my stupidity for losing it, or even taking it near such a place.

11. macrumors 68040

Take it to an Apple Store and pay $150 for the out of warranty replacement and then sell the replacement phone for $250 if its a 4. $350 if its a 4S.

12. macrumors member

Wow.

13. macrumors regular

thats what i would do.

14. macrumors regular

I would love pics of the phone, for the lulz

That idea is so epic, I wonder if it's possible

15. macrumors 6502a

i would too

16. macrumors 68040

Yeah it would work. My friend bought an iPhone 5 a few weeks ago off a guy that looked like it had been run over by a car. Took it to Apple and paid the $200 for an out of warranty replacement and they gave him a new one. Not a bad deal.

17. macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

That seems really odd for several reasons

1.) All iphone 5's are still technically under warranty, as they haven't even been out for a year yet.

2.) A phone thats been run over by a car is not a manufacturers defect, so it would never fall under warranty replacement in the first place.

Seems like a strange business practice for apple to have. Do you have a link to this program on their site?

18. macrumors 604

cynics

It was my first thought. If Apple can't/won't find the owner there is no sense of throwing it in the trash if there is profit to be made.

19. macrumors 68030

It's an "Out Of" Warranty program (a phone that's been run over by a car is not a warranty repair).

$149 for an iPhone 4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

20. macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

21. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I'd find some place that would take it and recycle it.

22. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

Sell it on eBay as is or spend the $149 for replacement.

I'm sure someone will buy the busted up iPhone for parts or something

23. macrumors 6502a

I would grab some thermite and pour it over the phone... then record it for youtube material

24. macrumors regular

I don't think any parts would survive so much salt water.

25. macrumors 65832

SR45

Agreed. Salt water folks, salt......Rust on the iphone as well tells one that it has been in salt water for sometime as well. The phone is toast.... Period