What To Do With iPod Touch 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The Watchmen, Jul 1, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have an iPod Touch First Gen lying around. It's served me amazingly for years, but now I just take it with me when I have the odd long-haul flight just in case my main forms of entertainment die on me.

I'm just wondering, is there anything "cool" I can do with it? Can I hack it, put a different OS on it, basically anything other than have it operate as a music and very picky video player?

Thanks for any advice.

2. macrumors 6502

I have placed it permanently on its original dock that can charge it and play music and hold in the bedroom to have musing playing before going to sleep at night. Unfortunatelly its battery is so pour that I need to have it on costant charge otherwwise in few minutes will be dead.

3. macrumors 6502a

You can throw it out of a window.

4. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    exactly the same thing I am doing with mine, and I do Have to keep mine plugged in as well:(

5. macrumors 6502

Mine lives in the glove box in my car, hooked up to the radio. I listen to all my music while driving. Love it!

6. macrumors 65816

I was using mine connected to the car stereo until I sold it (money went towards some newer Apple kit). They are still good music and video players, and I didn't update any apps on my computer so that I could still load the old versions that were compatible with my 1st gen.

7. macrumors 6502

You can always take it to an Apple Retail Store and get 10% off of a new iPod Touch.

8. macrumors 68020

leomac08

I jailbroked mines years ago to do more with it, but it became laggy. Currently it's battery life just sucks and it lies asleep next to it's younger brother the current 5th gen. :p

9. macrumors member

I thought I was the only one who kept my old iPod touch hooked up in the room! I keep it with "night stand" app on (best alarm clock I've found, so far). But when I want music, or I'm out for a while, and don't want to run down my iPhone battery playing games, I take it with me.

I would keep the iPod touch 1! That's going to be valuable some day. I don't even upgrade the iOS or apps on mine. I like the retro feeling of playing some apps back in their beginning stages.

10. macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I just bought 3...lol :D iPod 4th is much MUCH better

11. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

i can pm you a nice place to get rid of it ;)

12. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I sold mine for ~$35.

13. macrumors 6502

robertosh

Wow, for these money I won't sell it, I've sold mine when I bought my 4th gen, and I sold it for 90€, the 8gb model on eBay....

14. macrumors member

It's probably not capable of using most modern apps on the App Store, but remember what the iPod was originally designed to do - play music and other media. My old iPod Touch is simply used for a music player now a days, and that's what you could do with yours as well. Remove everything, and you'll have a lot of storage for all your favorite songs! :)

15. macrumors newbie

Yeah, the official function of iPod is Music or you can put it in a glass chest and begin becoming a collector :D

16. macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

I just sold an ipod touch 1st g with a broken charging port, and home button for 40 bucks on eBay...lol more than I thought I could ever get for it...:eek:

17. macrumors Core

Dagless

I still use my 16gb for TV shows. Be a shame when this dies and we don't have a 128gb iPhone or iPod.