What to do with lonely G5 iMac? Slave or Server??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peestandingup, Mar 2, 2007.

1. peestandingup macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2006
    Let me tell you my setup. My Macs in the house are:

- MacBook Core 2 Duo w/ wireless N enabled 160GB HD/1GB RAM
    - 12" PowerBook 80GB HD/512MB RAM
    - 17" iMac G5 1.8GHz (without iSight) w/ 160GB HD/1GB RAM/ all wireless

My wireless setup is:

- New Airport Extreme set to Wireless N ONLY w/ 100GB HD attached to it
    - Airport Express setup as a bridge thats connected to the Extreme & is set to Wireless G ONLY w/ speakers attached to it + a printer

All the non-N machines connect to the Express G network for internet & my MacBook connects to the Extreme N network. Since the Express is a bridge, every machine in the house can see the printer, the speakers, & the AirDisk without leaving their own native networks.

Anyways, im thinking of selling the iMac, but kinda hate to since its still a really great machine. But, im finding I dont use it too much.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do with it so it gets more use?? We mostly just use our notebooks around the house & the lonely iMac just sits there. I plan on getting the AppleTV too.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    I'd say sell it while its still worth what it is. 17" isn't really media center capable, and its also pre-isight/remote. Server isn't really practical, and you could put the money towards the :apple:TV.

I know it pains you to do so, but it really is the only practical thing to do.
  3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    Definitely agree with SuperCompu2. Sell it. If you really want a server for some reason (and it doesn't sound like you really have a reason), put a small fraction of the proceeds towards an old Power Mac which would be perfectly sufficient for a home (non-video) LAN server. Pocket the rest of the money and put it towards a new Mac in the future.
  4. Keebler macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2005
  5. peestandingup thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2006
  6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada