What to do with my 17" ADC CRT Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by insidedanshead, Jan 18, 2004.

1. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Not sure where to put this thread but here goes... I just wanted to get ya'll ya'lls opinion on this matter. When I got my powermac 733 G4 back in the middle ages, I bought a crt 17" apple display with it, the downside is it has an ADC connector. Since then I have upgraded to a 21" trinitron and a radeon 9000 and have really no need for it..i dont have the deskspace to use it as a second monitor but it would be nice to use it for my gaming pc.. the only thing that sucks is the vga to adc adapter is upwards of $300 ! I might as well get a new monitor.. hmph. anyone else got a beautiful 17" apple crt laying unused?

here's a pic of the monitor im talking about
  2. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    I don't get it... Are you trying to sell your monitor? Or do you just want advice as to what to do with it?

I'd probably recommend selling it off. You might get $150 for it. I agree that it's not worth getting a VGA-ADC connector.

Then get yourself a KVM switch, and hook up both your Mac and PC to the 21" you like at the same time.

Good luck!
  3. insidedanshead thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    I was just looking for advice.. selling it is definitely an option.. also I was looking at a switch... it actually would be really nice to share all my peripherals with my pc including my monitor.. my desk is big enough for my 21" trinitron and my crappy monitor for my pc.. but it would be even better to lose the pc monitor and share my trinitron..

is there any signal degredation? also.. is there a way to use my apple keyboard on the pc and map certain keys (i.e. Command - alt, option to windows)?
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The only problem is the CRT monitor is ANALOG ADC, which a lot of ADC cards and adapters do not support.
  5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    if you are trying to figure out what to do, the most obvious solution would be to sell the monitor. the second most obvious would be to wait a while and constantly check places like ebay to see if the adaptor you need ever gets cheap.

or you could give it to me. whichever.
  6. insidedanshead thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002

I did a little research.. Correct me if I am wrong but will this switch allow me to say.. use a SINGLE ps/2 mouse, keyboard, and monitor.. for both my pc and mac?

it seems that using ps/2 peripherals just wouldn't work?
  7. raytube macrumors member

Nov 13, 2003
    I've used a Belkin KVM switch before to share a monitor between a mac and a pc. It was a PS2 connection so I never actually shared the keyboard, I did try using some PS2-USB convertors (the type you get with Microsoft mice) but it didn't seem to work. There are however USB versions available if you needed mouse and keyboard sharing, otherwise the PS2 will work fine for monitor only. Check Belkin's pages at:

Alternatively you can use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection client if you simply want to access your PC, it's no good if you want to run games as the refresh rate isn't so hot but fine if you just want to access some standard applications.

Hope that helps,

8. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Unfortunately for you the monitor in question is incompatible with all VGA/DVI -> ADC adapters so it will only work on computers (Macs) with an ADC port, sorry.

Your best bet is to sell it to someone who has an ADC connector and wants a monitor like that, its a pretty good quality monitor, especially for being from a few years ago, I'd take it if I didn't already have a 17" monitor and had a computer with an ADC connector....