What to do with my 1st gen pod

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macuser6457, Jul 4, 2005.

1. macuser6457 macrumors newbie

I can't think of where else to put this thread so I am going to put it here. I have a 1st gen iPod that still works perfectly execpt for one thing, but the hard drive stopped mounting. What can be done with this? Is it easy to replace the hard drive? Should I part out? Any interesting ideas?

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

Probably not worth getting the hard drive replaced - just invest in a new mini if you need a new one. There might be someone on eBay interested in buying it for spares/repair.

**edit - when you say it's still working, does it still play music, but just doesn't appear on your mac?

3. macuser6457 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it doesn't play music or show up on the computer. But the screen still displays everything execpt the music.

4. croshtique macrumors 6502

Well try the obvious things to make sure if it really is dead or not:

Reset the thing (plug-in, hold down Play+Menu for 10s or so)
    Reset it and hold down Previous+Next to force it into disk mode
    Do a disk scan (hold down Previous+Next+Select+Menu (I think... might want to check up on that combo for 1G iPods)) at the Apple logo after resetting.

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

if that works you should do what all mac users do with their dead macs. make a fishbowl.

oh. it might be too small. nevermind.;)

6. croshtique macrumors 6502

I'm sure you could concoct a crude Sea Monkey tank out of it...

7. macuser6457 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know about that already and have tried that with no luck. When I plug it in to the computer it does thisthis .

8. macuser6457 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry I posted that before I finshed, after that goes on for a while it gives me the I disk scan failed I tried many times (the ipod reached super high temps) so I gave up and bought a new one. But now I have that one sitting around. I think it would be a waste to make a sea monkey or ant tank out of such an amazing gadget, even if it is broken.

9. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Paint the buttons grey and you will effectively have a 4G iPod (cept you'll be able to tell where all the buttons are because they are seperated, and the wheel is fun to play with).

Either go all push-button-y or all touch-button-y. None of this inbetween stuff.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah. Maybe you can just keep your eyes peeled for another old iPod with other ailments (dead screen, wheel, etc.) and merge the good parts.