Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
I am an original Apple TV owner since the beginning. I'm in love with it, as well as the new one, which I bought about a month ago.

After I bought the new one, I set up the old one down in my basement home theater, which hasn't been used since I moved it down there mainly because my wife and I had our first baby two weeks ago and have been glued to our living room where the majority of baby care/TV/movie watching takes place. Of course we have our basement set up for baby care too, but it's just not working out that way right now.

So, with the old Apple TV getting no use, I've had time to reflect on it.

I've had the following thoughts:

1. Don't do anything and let it sit until LG releases one of their Plex-based Blu-ray players. I've gone the Blu-ray route in the past, and eventually sold all my discs after the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray war ended. I was sick of it all and really just wanted to stream for a while. If you look at a lot of the Blu-ray players now, their functionality of streaming has really stepped up...so that is a thought of mine.

2. Purchase ATVFlash and expand some possibilities of the device. This may spark some interest in getting more use out of it now that it's in the basement. If you think this sounds like a good idea, have you used ATVFlash? What do you like about it?

3. Sell it on EBay and use that money to buy another new Apple TV, and put that one in my basement, thus creating more interest in putting my basement home theater to use.

4. Turn it into an audiophile jukebox or something else useful.

5. Any other suggestions?

pcb

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Oxford, Ohio
I am an original Apple TV owner since the beginning. I'm in love with it, as well as the new one, which I bought about a month ago.

After I bought the new one, I set up the old one down in my basement home theater, which hasn't been used since I moved it down there mainly because my wife and I had our first baby two weeks ago and have been glued to our living room where the majority of baby care/TV/movie watching takes place. Of course we have our basement set up for baby care too, but it's just not working out that way right now.

Give it to me a poor college kid, pm for my address.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

I've had the following thoughts:

1. Don't do anything and let it sit until LG releases one of their Plex-based Blu-ray players. I've gone the Blu-ray route in the past, and eventually sold all my discs after the HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray war ended. I was sick of it all and really just wanted to stream for a while. If you look at a lot of the Blu-ray players now, their functionality of streaming has really stepped up...so that is a thought of mine.

2. Purchase ATVFlash and expand some possibilities of the device. This may spark some interest in getting more use out of it now that it's in the basement. If you think this sounds like a good idea, have you used ATVFlash? What do you like about it?

3. Sell it on EBay and use that money to buy another new Apple TV, and put that one in my basement, thus creating more interest in putting my basement home theater to use.

4. Turn it into an audiophile jukebox or something else useful.

I chose something similar to #3; I sold both of mine to people who were looking for more v1 units to mod with CrystalHD cards and XBMC. Used the money to buy a second AppleTV v2 for the bedroom.

GeekGuys

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
ATV1 vs ATV2????

I'm not sure I understand this question.

Surely, as an ATV1 owner you know that you can do everything with the ATV1 that you can with the ATV2 (except TV Streaming from HULU etc). So, you can stream from your own iTunes/NAS library on both. You obviously have a local collection that you can still use.

It's not like the ATV1 is a teenage schoolboy.... it doesn't get petulant, sulky and moody, and screams "I HATE YOU... YOU NEVER LISTEN!!!!" and stops working!;)

I see them as 2 separate devices that work in very similar ways. One has storage, one has live streaming of Netflix (no use to us Limey Brits anyway... we have no need for such new fangled streaming thingies. We have the BBC!!!!!:D).

So, I would suggest you leave as is and use it when you can. If you don't use it....lose it (I think that is the saying.... well, close enough :confused:)

jcschlic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not sure I understand this question.

Surely, as an ATV1 owner you know that you can do everything with the ATV1 that you can with the ATV2 (except TV Streaming from HULU etc). So, you can stream from your own iTunes/NAS library on both. You obviously have a local collection that you can still use.

It's not like the ATV1 is a teenage schoolboy.... it doesn't get petulant, sulky and moody, and screams "I HATE YOU... YOU NEVER LISTEN!!!!" and stops working!;)

I see them as 2 separate devices that work in very similar ways. One has storage, one has live streaming of Netflix (no use to us Limey Brits anyway... we have no need for such new fangled streaming thingies. We have the BBC!!!!!:D).

So, I would suggest you leave as is and use it when you can. If you don't use it....lose it (I think that is the saying.... well, close enough :confused:)

Netflix streaming is something that really made the new Apple TV pop for both myself and my wife. I could never get my wife to use the old one. The new one's Netflix streaming has been one thing that meets and exceeds the wife factor.

If the old one had this, it'd be great and I'd really have no reason to consider an alternative.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I sold mine and picked up a 2G. I had already modded the old one to use XBMC but was always frustrated that it couldn't play anything higher than SD.

I was a bit nervous for a while there until i saw the recent Plex threads start to pop up. Now that Plex has really stepped up their game with the media server functionality I can see me picking up more 2Gs in the future. I'm already glued to my iPhone watching Episodes of Spooks late into the night using the official iOS Plex app. If the 2G :apple:TV pans out the way I anticipate - I can see that I'll be watching it on the bedroom tv instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.