What to do with new SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hypebeastt, Sep 18, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC, from amazon, and Im also gonna buy the bytecc enclosure I wanted to know after installing the ssd into the enclosure what do i need to do after that, do i just plug and play or are they any apps or I need to buy or any formatting or other steps needed to ensure proper usage. Thank you so much for any help.

2. macrumors 6502a

Simply format the SSD via disk utility and use it like you normally would.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you soo much, If I wanna use my SSd for time machine can I also use it as a normal external too?

4. macrumors 6502a

IIRC, in order to use any drive for Time Machine, it must be formatted in HFS+.

5. macrumors regular

Yes and that is correct. :)

Although I wouldn't have purchased an SSD for backup/external storage, lol.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh why not? I just wanted it to be light and portable! can you tell me why ssd isn't a good option?

7. macrumors regular

Expensive for the amount of space, mainly.

You get a 1TB external for less than $100 and it doesn't really weigh an appreciable amount more. :)

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what you mean, It's just i thought because i bought my first computer/laptop with a ssd that I should also get an external with ssd too, my air only has 128gb and now its down to 40GB remaining so I thought it would be a good idea to get an external drive to thats also super fast and lightweight and wont have moving parts to break easily or lose data. I guess i'm just paranoid and wanna baby my air.

9. macrumors regular

I understand completely, I half my 1TB external just over half full. :p

I have a 256GB SSD in an external enclosure, too, so I can't really say that much. I pulled mine from my MacBook Pro before I sold it. :D

Not to mention my other 120GB SSD just laying on my desk! :eek:

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Which enclosure do you recommend, Its really hard to find a good aluminum SATA III enclosure thats usb 3.0, only one i've found is the bytecc.

11. macrumors regular

From Fry's? I would go with something like this: http://www.frys.com/product/6231090?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I prefer enclosures with full-size USB connections on the hard drive side. Much more durable. :cool:

I am using the USB 2.0 version of that enclosure with my 1TB.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! Thank you soo much! I'm gonna go to fry's tomorrow, so ill see what happens.

13. macrumors regular

Awesome, Fry's is my second favorite store, after Micro-Center. :p

14. macrumors 6502a

I bought a 500GB external USB 3.0 HDD for ~$50 and I can say that it weighs about the same as your external SSD in its case.

SSDs are great, if you ue them a lot. External USB HDDs get used rarely so the SSD's price per GB is not as good an option.