What to do with the new DP's OS9/X

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Vankarius, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Vankarius macrumors newbie

I'm challenged by this problem regarding the new G4 Desktops and could really use some expert advice on this.

I want to buy a 1.42 dp.

All new models boot into OSX however there is an option to
    buy a 1.25 DP in the online apple store that can boot into OS9...And that's just what I want to do...to have the option to boot in either OS9 or X but with a 1.42 machine!

The choice is hard because of the following:

Apple has the OSX 1.25 machine with 1mb L3 cache/Processor,
    and a OS9 1.25 machine with 2mb! L3 cache/processor?????
    Now isn't that funny because the only machine offering 2mb L3 cache/processor is a 1.42??? But a 1.42 can't boot into OS9

The next problem is the configuration:

The OSX 1.25 can be ordered with 256 MB 333mhz memory
    The OS9 1.25 can ONLY be ordered with 512 MB Memory!!!

Then you are forced to have at least an ATI 9000 video card in the OS9 1.25 and don't have the option to have a cheaper Nvidia installed like you can in the OSX 1.25

No firewire 800 is fitted in the OS9 1.25

You can't leave the obsolete modem out of the OS9 1.25!
    Wich you can in the OSX 1.25

You must have a 120GB hd because a 80GB hd isn't possible.
    Very strange when considdered that 80GB is standard in the OSX 1.25.

but that's still not the worsed! 2 exactly the same speed machines (1.25DP, 512MB, 120GB, DVD/CD-RW, ATI9000, 56k)
    there's a price difference of Euro 108,- between the 2 machines.
    Euro 2849,81 for the OS9 Boot Model without firewire800...
    Euro 2741,76 for the OSX Boot Model with Firewire 800, Bluetooth option....

The only advantage the OS9 boot machine has is the 2mb cache/processor...

Am I buying an old model here including the fan noise issue
    at a higher price only to be able to boot into OS9!

Who can advise me what to do?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Cache memory costs more than regular memory - this probably accounts for some of the price difference.

Do you really need the ability to boot into OS 9? Or can you just run the applications in Classic? This is the decission you have to make.

In the past year, I have not booted into OS 9, nor have I really used classic. All the applications I need have OS X versions.

At this point, I've ripped the classic environment off my machine.

3. Vankarius thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes definitely need to be able to...other than that I want to have a choise to what I would like.

I mainly use Logic Audio and I just want to run it like before just on a faster machine and don't want to be ripped off when I buy an machine from the former series.

I've been told that it's just a matter of a little flash rom that tells
    the machine what OS's are suitable so when you try to install OS9 it kicks in telling you that particular OS can't run on this machine. All that needs to be done is flash the little bugger and
    let the machine run on os9...That makes sence doesn't it?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The OS9 1.25 is in fact the old high end configuration thus the bigger hard drive, vCard, L3 Cache etc.. Yes it is louder then the new one.

While I do believe someone will find a way to run OS9 on the new machines I don't think it's a simple thing to do.

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Man, the problem is not Apple it is you.

Be aware that Apple want to get rid of the OS9 ASAP and all their merchandise technics are focused towars that.

Now, what do you want to do with the machine?

In my case I work with video and I'm selling my dual 500 to get a 12"Powerbook!!! Yas, because for my needs it will work better.

Be sure if you really need a faster machine because 99% of the time is not necesary un less you are working with 2D or 3D animation.

Be humble when buying and save lots of $$$ to get more things.

I rather have a 12" PB and a 17" LCD screen right now.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I actually doubt anyone will be able to get OS 9 to boot. I mean, when apple makes minor updates to machines, they have to update the OS to work with the new hardware. The OS has to support the hardware, and the hardware has to support the OS. Since apple specifically says they changed the firmware in these machines and as a result OS 9 is not bootable, I dont' see anyway people could do anything about that (you can't just edit the firmware)

So what I'm saying, if you need OS 9 booting capability, the choice is easier. The 1.4 machines will not work and never will.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Even if someone does get it working... (which has problems that I see)... you won't have drivers for any of the hardware that's new to the current PowerMacs. Most notably, the FW800, Built-in Bluetooth, and Airport Extreme.

8. sedarby macrumors regular

Logic Audio 5.5

Actually if you go to www.emagic.de you can download Logic Audio 5.5 for OSX which I have found actually works better than the OS9 versions. The only catch is you have to have the XSKey for a current version. Be forewarned though that VST plugins are not supported so you won't be able to use your VST instruments with it on OSX until they get those converted to Audio Units.

In fact I rarely ever use OS9 now.

9. Vankarius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comment but I'm totally aware of the ups and downs of Logic under OSX...Thant's why I want to run it under 9!!

I use loads of VST plugs for one...

I appreciate the help but please don't ask me why I want to run OS9 and I'm sure lots of you are perfectly happy With X but I just want to run OS9 on a new FW800 machine!

10. Santiago macrumors regular

And you have to realize that this simply isn't going to happen. Even if people hack around enough to develop System Enablers for Mac OS 9 on the new machines, actually using the FW 800 port would require writing Mac OS 9 drivers for the new FW controller.

You have to choose either Mac OS 9 or the new machines, not both...

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if i were you i would contact a reseller and buy an older model with all the nice features with os 9 compatibility. that is your best bet. only if they have some in stock of course.

iJon

12. russianjon macrumors newbie

noise issue

regarding the noise issue - I've just spoken to the Apple Store UK who assure me that the OS9 dual 1.25 IS a new model and not the old one.. I'm presuming (and hoping) he knows what he is talking about. Vank have you considered giving them a call to see if you get the same reply..
    Regarding which one to get - I'm very keen to get the OS9 one.. with all the extras it only works out £45 more expensive than the OSX one plus the 2mb! L3 cache/processor!! To have the option to boot into OS9.... no competition - go4it!!

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: noise issue

Sorry I know for sure it's the old one. I have seen reports from people who have bought them already and it is definitely the old one.

14. russianjon macrumors newbie

where did you see the reports? were they favourable and of a positive nature...?

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There have been a couple here in the forums. I will have to look for them. The initial reactions are that they are pretty much the same as the old ones. I haven't seen any speed tests but expect them to be just slightly slower due to a smaller L3 cache.