What to do with this exceptional offer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheT, Jan 12, 2004.

1. TheT macrumors 6502

Alright, so I got this mail from someone, I don't even know how they got my eMail address. Then, they sent it through some free mail system (one of them was usermail.com). It was a real "to-good-to-be-true" offer, but I though I'd just write them back to see what happens.
    And then I got this mail:
    Then, there are some pictures with the eBay-Picture Logo in one corner (see attachment).
    Also look at that link,
    http://macdealsgroup.cjb.net/ .
    So what is your opinion? Would WesternUnion be a safe way to pay?
    No, I'm not completely crazy and I don't really want to send them my precious money, but is there a tiny possibility that this could be true?

2. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do people (me included) always forget to attach files? :D

Attached Files:

• pb 2.jpg
      pb 2.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Very important rule here folks, if it looks too good to be true, then it almost certainly is too good to be true, don't touch it with a very long barge pole.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Western Union funds transfer to Eastern Europe?
    :p :p :p :p

SCAM!

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

they use a cjb.net redirector for their website, who other than a 12 yr old with their first tripod homepage does this? SCAM!

7. Calliander macrumors member

Wow, this is awesome! Even better than those Nigerian scams!

EDIT: On second thought, have them give you the serial numbers for the machines you would supposedly be getting. If they are units reported as stolen, I can help catch them. Here's how you can wrangle the serial numbers from them:

You are supposedly getting five unopened new boxes from them. The serial numbers are located on a white label on the side of the box. They cannot say that they don't know the serial numbers unless it isn't legitimate product.

Tell them that you cannot buy them without knowing the serial numbers because you have to be assured the product is brand new. And if they don't give you the serial numbers, oh well.

It'll be cool if you can get them, though. :)

8. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

All out of country Western Union deals are scams - I spoke with WU about this and they said it's a scam b/c alothough the seller tells you "wire th emoney but keep the 'security number' - wait till you ge tthe machine and check it out and then call me withthe number".

WU Told me forieign WU offcies do not need the numbner - they will release funds w/o.
    Basically, you are NOT going to get a NIB Mac for 30% or more off.
    AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.
    Unless it falls off a truck (then email me...) - just kiddeing

9. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

You should forward that website, email, etc. to the FBI because some poor sod is going to take them up on the offer and lose a lot of money.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Oh sh*t, that's was a scam?

11. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, like I said, I was not going to give them my money... but I'll try to get some more info... if I get any, I'll let you know :)

12. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

One more thing: Can a PB with 1GB of RAM even be factory sealed? I mean, when you BTO, are the packages sealed?

13. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I notice you're in Germany. Was the email sent to you in English or did you translate it for us??

In either case, it's a good attempt at translation but falls far short of proper English.

My advice, send your money to sethypoo

At least Seth promises to buy a Powerbook. Not likely he'll send it to you, but heck, it's for a good cause.

m

14. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm saving my money to get my own PowerBook (legally in germany) :)
    No, it's not my lousy English, it was sent that way to me.

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yup scam, i just hope that no one reads the first post and goes "holy crap" i'm gonna contact that person and get this deal"

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Dude, don't waste your dough! Even if they give you serial numbers I would not touch it...ever! Western Union? Why can't this big compnay do credit cards? I know why...if you do credit cards the credit card company can not pay them if you don't receive the product and they fight for your money...Western Union will say...sorry Charlie.

But if you feel like donating money to Ukraine then go ahead...just don't expect more than a fax if you even get that.

By the way...you are saying they can sell it this cheap despite having to ship it half was across the world...twice...not to mention the cost it must take to send a fax that long of distance, etc.

In addition: the offer reads

"so the reason for this sale is to gain
    a name of a stable,affordable and leading trading company."

Well if this is true, then how on earth are they going to gain a great name by selling 7 powerbooks world wide. I am sorry, but this is a joke...they are gaining credibility with potential partners by selling a handful of powerbooks. Even Best buy sold more Apple's with their crappy sales staff.

By the way, I have a three story house for sale...only $1,000...send me the money through WU and I will send you a fax of the deed.

:D

17. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: Alright people, one more time: We know it is a scam. We will not pay any money. You don't have to say how stupid this is; we know. But some people might not see it... so why don't we catch those thieves, if possible? And why not ask them for the Serial Numbers? No harm will be done, at least not for us.

18. SVF macrumors newbie

I also received this email and thought it to be too good to be true. I sent them an email stating that "How can I verify the authenticity of your company and this deal to assure that I am not being ripped off. It seems too cheap to be true!
    this was their reply

Thank for your interest in our products on this sale. I do understand your
    worries ,so please let me describe, why this pricing is so low.
    Computers are absolutely legitimate, and they were originaly purchased
    trough an Apple authorized resseling party with a truly great volume order
    of
    200-300 pieces of this G5 Bundles and much of other systems as PowerBook's.
    They were purchased by the CybernINC which is one of our subsiders and were
    all ranged for the whole current Ukrainian market range.
    After they almost all have been spread over the stores there was litle
    amount of bundles left which was holded for this sale, as a CyberNIC and
    EXIM Connection are doing their best , to promote our new birthed company
    called Mac Deals Exporting and Importing. This means that the price you pay
    for the whole bundle ( $2750 with display and warranty ) is the wholesale
    price our subsiders where originaly purchased for , and it is applies only
    once to this single sale, as this is a part of a great promotion campaign.

To place an item on hold and initiate an order process please send me your
    complete name ,ship to adress and contacts for day and evening time.

With kindest regards ,

Vitaly V Reinberg

Well, as much as I'd love one at that price, he didn't really answer my question.

I'd say SCAM!

19. klyau6 macrumors member

i think it's a rule of thumb that 99.99999% of the times someone goes and seeks YOU out, they're most likely trying to make you their next victim.

20. Flickta macrumors 6502

Go Ukraine!

Those diRRRty capitalists deseRRRve seRRRious punishment! :) :) :)

Did you know that prices in countries other than US are 20+ percent higher?

21. k_1701 macrumors newbie

I got it too

I have sent several emails to this person in the Ukraine, I have looked into it and have informed my lawyer of this. While I realize this is PROBABLY (99.999999%) a scam, I want to do some more research (which is how I found this forum). I was wondering if any of you, before accusing this person, have actually been scammed by him. Yes, I'm looking for more than just speculation. My lawyer, I'm sure, will help me. I will inform you of the results.

Thank you,

k_1701

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

YES, when the factory is a fraud mill. [​IMG]
    Of course sending him some money will immediately flush out this guy, if it's a scam. [​IMG]

23. k_1701 macrumors newbie

So what now

Well, say its a scam. What can I, or my lawyer, do about it. Contact Apple? Contact the authorities? What?

I did fax the copies of the emails to my lawyer, so I''ll keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

k_1701