Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I just fixed up a old slot loading imac 400 (no firewire) in my computer tech class at school, my teacher is letting me do whaterver I want with it since the school was going to dmp it anyway. Anybody have suggestions on what I shoud do with it, maybe a FTP server? I want a game server but I think its just a tad too slow for halo.:p
What do you guys think I should do with?

MontanaMacster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Very far from any Apple Stores
I use mine as

A music server.
I don't physicaly have a single mp3 in it,
but It streams my entire 5,000 track collection from upstairs. Just a simple Dsl connection with a router. As far as setup the network for it, its all in itunes preferances. Set one able to share("share my music") and one as able to recieve("Look for shared Music"), both options under the sharing tab.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: What to do with this imac

Originally posted by nolem
I just fixed up a old slot loading imac 400 (no firewire) in my computer tech class at school, my teacher is letting me do whaterver I want with it since the school was going to dmp it anyway. Anybody have suggestions on what I shoud do with it, maybe a FTP server? I want a game server but I think its just a tad too slow for halo.:p
What do you guys think I should do with?

I don't really have a suggestion, but FYI if doesn't have firewire ports, its a 350 mhz machine. all 400 mhz and up imacs have firewire.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Originally posted by 7on
You could use it as a family computer. Hell, my campus's labs are iMacs at 233Mhz.

My Middle/High School still use Classics, LCs, and early PM 5200/5260s for the computer labs.

They'd be lucky to have iMacs. And yet the Library has iMacs, the graphics classes have G4s, and the journalism has iMacs, but the rest of the school suffers with the older machines.

As for the iMac in Question, a Webserver would be great. It would work well. Also, with OS9, a file server would be nice. Unfortunately, OSX doesn't allow the customizability in users and access that OS9 allows you to.

TEG

nolem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
hmm, yes it must be a 350 mhz,(I haven't got panther on it yet:D) I had to switch motherboards with a older one without firewire. Do you know of a way to salvage the 400 mhz chip of the dead board or is it possible?

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I got given a 233 imac at the weekend, and im planning to use it as a itunes client, unfortunatly i think its a rev A that doen't have an airport slot as far a i can tell. Runs 10.3 ok.:)

nolem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
ok, got panther web server on it, seeing that I already have a webserver on another comp, maybe I'll just use the imac as a FTP download station for my class.
Thanks for your suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.