What to do with this imac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nolem, Jan 21, 2004.

1. nolem macrumors member

I just fixed up a old slot loading iMac 400 (no firewire) in my computer tech class at school, my teacher is letting me do whaterver I want with it since the school was going to dmp it anyway. Anybody have suggestions on what I shoud do with it, maybe a FTP server? I want a game server but I think its just a tad too slow for halo.:p
    What do you guys think I should do with?

2. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

I use mine as

A music server.
    I don't physicaly have a single mp3 in it,
    but It streams my entire 5,000 track collection from upstairs. Just a simple Dsl connection with a router. As far as setup the network for it, its all in itunes preferances. Set one able to share("share my music") and one as able to recieve("Look for shared Music"), both options under the sharing tab.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You could use it as a family computer. Hell, my campus's labs are iMacs at 233Mhz.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: What to do with this imac

I don't really have a suggestion, but FYI if doesn't have firewire ports, its a 350 mhz machine. all 400 mhz and up imacs have firewire.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My Middle/High School still use Classics, LCs, and early PM 5200/5260s for the computer labs.

They'd be lucky to have iMacs. And yet the Library has iMacs, the graphics classes have G4s, and the journalism has iMacs, but the rest of the school suffers with the older machines.

As for the iMac in Question, a Webserver would be great. It would work well. Also, with OS9, a file server would be nice. Unfortunately, OSX doesn't allow the customizability in users and access that OS9 allows you to.

TEG

6. nolem thread starter macrumors member

hmm, yes it must be a 350 mhz,(I haven't got panther on it yet:D) I had to switch motherboards with a older one without firewire. Do you know of a way to salvage the 400 mhz chip of the dead board or is it possible?

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I got given a 233 imac at the weekend, and im planning to use it as a itunes client, unfortunatly i think its a rev A that doen't have an airport slot as far a i can tell. Runs 10.3 ok.:)

8. nolem thread starter macrumors member

ok, got panther web server on it, seeing that I already have a webserver on another comp, maybe I'll just use the imac as a FTP download station for my class.
    Thanks for your suggestions