Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
HI,

I joined the mac community last year in August w/ buying a Powermac G4 Dual 500mhz, I now LOVE Macs, the operating system is so stable and it's just a great computer.

Well w/ this powermac I think it's just kind of slow and not really a good choice for me now. I really want to sell the powermac g4 dual 500 mhz and buy a Mac Mini G4 1.25 or 1.42, I don't have any more money than 500.00 (after I sell my powermac, I also have a little bit of cash) so a intel mini would not be a good choice. For what I can get for my powermac I can get a mac mini. a mac mini would be very more practical for what I do. I haven't tried iLife on the powermac so I'm not sure how it would preform, I think if I got the mac mini I could save it for maybe another year then when I get the money I can buy a Intel Imac or mac mini intel. I plan on using

final cut express (the lightest possible way)
photoshop 7 ( photoshop 7 is just way more easier then CS2)
photshop CS2 ( just the lightest way possible)
iLife 2006 (I do a little home videos and that rought)
garageband ( I play the piano and the sax, but I'll just record little)
internet
IM
iTunes ( I have a ipod mini)

big programs like final cut express and photoshop I won't use that often just to tochen up a photo or do a 10 minute movie.

I know that if I got a mac mini it would be MUCH faster then my powermac.

What would you do?

I would consider different options, but I allready have a dell ultrasharp display so iMac's and eMac's are not considered.

Or should I save up my money and buy a mac mini intel?

PS. I hope on using this computer for about 2 more years

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Sell you PowerMac here or on eBay, I guess you could get $300-400 for the PM. Then you would have $900 if you put in an extra 100, and you could buy a kickass duo mini, with 1 GB RAM. Or a Solo Mini with SD, 2 GB and Mighty Mouse + Keyboard. I would go for the solo, because the extra RAM would make it much faster... Just my two cents...;)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Josias said:
Sell you PowerMac here or on eBay, I guess you could get $300-400 for the PM. Then you would have $900 if you put in an extra 100, and you could buy a kickass duo mini, with 1 GB RAM. Or a Solo Mini with SD, 2 GB and Mighty Mouse + Keyboard. I would go for the solo, because the extra RAM would make it much faster... Just my two cents...;)
Plus, with the Solo you can always upgrade to a Duo at a later date when you have more cash.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
oh i said that totally wrong, I meant that when I sold the powermac and I have some money it will probably equal 500.00

better fix that

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
well here's another option SAVE (a hard thing to do) UP for an intel mac mini duo, maybe I can get a little more money from my parents?

the dou and single intel seem pretty nice, maybe I do need frontrow?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I say get what you can afford when it comes to the Mini. Don't waste your money on RAM and use it to upgrade the HD or something from Apple. You can always buy another stick of RAM and pop it in yourself. I think a Core Solo would be nice for you. With 2GB of RAM would be about as fast as a Core Duo. :)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Caitlyn said:
I say get what you can afford when it comes to the Mini. Don't waste your money on RAM and use it to upgrade the HD or something from Apple. You can always buy another stick of RAM and pop it in yourself. I think a Core Solo would be nice for you. With 2GB of RAM would be about as fast as a Core Duo. :)
With the Intel Mini though you want to have at least 1Gb, and currently buying the Mini with 1Gb installed by Apple is cheaper (and easier) than buying it from a third party.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
well I thought that the mini g4 prices are very attractive, I could get a nice 1.5ghz for 'bout 400.00 (with 1gb RAM!)

So then I should save up for buying a mac mini, should I then get intel core dou or single.

It's going to take me a L...O...N...G time to save up that much 600.00 or 800.00!

If I did decide to get a core solo, would it be faster then my old guy now (powermac g4 dual 500mhz 512)

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
Photoshop on the Intel Minis are running under Rosetta and may be a little slower that you think... should be faster than the G4 but not that much of a speedbump untill they come out with the Universal Binaries End of the year or early 2007.
Final Cut pro is universal BUT NOT THE EXPRESS VERION
all the other apps are universal.
In your case all your software will work, just not @ 100% speed.

crazyfortech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
well I know that BUT what should I buy NOW

a 1.5ghz mac mini

OR

core solo or duo mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.