What To Do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by richard4339, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #1
    Ok, I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro in the next week. What I need are thoughts on what else to do.

    I recently (as in, three weeks ago) built a brand new PC (high end AMD processor, super fast, etc), that I'm going to sell at cost for me. After this, I'll have no desktop.

    My options are basically either:

    Buy a 17' MBP and leave it at that (I currently have a two generation old Mac Mini)
    Buy a 15' MBP and get a cheap desktop
    Buy a 15' MBP and get an iMac

    The confusion sets in because I need to run Windows; I can do most stuff I need to do in OSX, but I have to run several performance hog Windows programs for several programming classes I am in. The other issue is I need to get the MBP as soon as possible, and I'm not sure how long I should wait for a newer model of the MBP. I know there are tons of rumours about there about the new models, and I'll be sick if I buy a MBP and the new one comes out almost immediately after. Since I'm a student and I get the free iPod/printer, I don't want to wait until later than September 16th, but at the same time, as I said, I know I'll lose that promotion when the new MBP comes out.

    Anybody have thoughts?
     
  2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2004
    Location:
    Portland, Oregon
    #2
    You should probably wait until Tuesday to find out what the special event is all about. That gives you a few days to place your order before the 16th and the announcements may influence your decision.

    If your Mac Mini supports all your desktop needs then go for the 17" MBP. If the Mac Mini is inadequate then I'd go for the iMac and 15" MBP. Either way you'll get some great systems and have some fun. Good luck with the studies.
     
  3. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #3
    17" would be difficult to carry around
    cheap PC can be much cheaper than iMac,
    so if I were you, and want to save some $$, i would go with 2nd choice.
     
  4. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #4
    I'm currently carrying a 15' Compaq thats big/heavy as anything; carrying a 17' MBP would actually be easier on me.

    I guess another good question is memory; is it that hard to change the RAM in the MBP? I've heard horror stories, but buying 2 gigs on Newegg would definately be cheaper.
     
  5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

    ®îçhå®?

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #5
    I will bet me nose on the MB/P not being upgraded then. Why not only stick with the MBP?? it runs windows, it is really powerful and, being a student myself, would not be able to justify the cost of a desktop as well.
     
  6. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #6
    If I ended up with the desktop, it would be later this year.

    I'm thinking I'll get the 15' MBP with the 100gb 7200RPM HDD and 2gb of RAM (once again, is it really hard to change? If not, I'll just buy it myself and save $450)
     
  7. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #7
    Forgive the double post.

    Ok... the only reasons I want a MBP over a MB is screen size and nøn-shared video ram. Is this honestly worth it? I'm going to be using Parallels quite a bit because there are several Windows only programs I run. Is it worth another $500 to $1000 for a MBP?

    I love Mac, but I'm having difficulties wanting to part with the desktop I just built.

    I guess part of it is I'm not sure if I need a MBP.
     
  8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    Location:
    The Msp
    #8
    Well, the screen size I think is the most important factor here. As far as the VRAM goes, as long as you're not doing heavy gaming or running intensive video apps, you should be fine with the on-board MB video. So, if you're using it for normal, daily tasks, and don't mind the smaller screen, the MacBook seems to be what you'd want. If you need more screen space, go MacBook Pro.

    From what I've seen, RAM install on either is a cinch. The MBP has a small compartment on the bottom that allows for an upgrade, and the MB just has you take out the battery and two screws to access it. Good guides can be found on www.ifixit.com if you're interested.
     
  9. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2005
    #9
    Have a look at a Macbook in person, those 13" screens seem a bit small to me even with a higher resolution then my 15" powerbook. This alone could push you to a MBP
     
  10. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #10
    My friend has a Black Macbook which I've used, and I went to the store this past weekend to look at the Pros. The 13' is fine for me when running in OS X, but looks absolutely tiny when booting into Windows. Personally, I prefer the pros in every way (screen size, couldn't see the keyboard backlighting in a lit store, but I preferred the way the keyboard felt, as well as the speakers), but its a lot more money. I'll also note I couldn't tell any difference in performance, and none of the MacBooks (Pros) felt hot either.

    And, even though every thread in existance talks about merom (sorry), I don't know if I should wait. The free iPod and free printer through the education store is a GREAT deal... But I'd prefer a 64bit processor to the 32bit if I can get it. And, I need this laptop pretty soon.
     
  11. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

    rtdgoldfish

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #11
    If Apple does release an updated MacBook/MacBook Pro before the free iPod student promo ends, odds are you won't be able to get the free iPod with the updated machine. The updated iMacs released last week are not eligible for a free iPod. See this site: Free iPod FAQ
     
  12. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    richard4339

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Location:
    Illinois
    #12
    Yeah, my point was if they don't, I don't know if I should turn the offer down and wait another two weeks for the pro show.
     

Share This Page