What to expect at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NEENAHBOY, Feb 13, 2005.

1. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I personally hope for an updated iPod mini...5G iPods will probably be MWSF. Maybe a new PowerMac. Thoughts on Steve's "one more thing"?
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    if its not released before hand - i would expect tiger and a new dual 3 ghz g5

maybe with how small the powerbook updates were he might surprise us with a dual core/G5 PB

truth is nobody knows :)
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...once again....much too early to be getting into realistic speculation as to what may come at WWDC...a lot can happen between now and the end of June and some of those "expected" things will no doubt appear beforehand...talk to us again at the beginning of June when things can be put into better perspective...oh yeah!
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Hm, iBooks maybe... iPod mini another maybe. iMac speed bumps? iTunes 5? The Galaxy audio input breakout box thingy? Some Mac mini add-on devices?

Those are just some possible things that I can see coming sometime this year.

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Realistic speculation is something of an oxymoron.
  6. gco212 macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm not sure about the rest, but I don't excepct 5G iPods until at least August.
  7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    WWDC is a conference specifically for developers. iPod/iMac/iBook updates have never been released at WWDC. Expect new PowerMac revisions and "hopefully" some type of new dual-core G4 (more likely) or G5 Powerbook (we wish). At the rate we are going, WWDC may be the launch of Tiger. It's going to be weird not having Steve demo the next version of Mac OS X (after Tiger). I can see Steve saying, "Tiger launched just less than 1 month ago, and we already have had X purchased, making this Apple's most successful O/S launch ever."

I would predict a "Music Event" in April to mark the anniversary of the iTunes Music Store, which will include updates to the iPod line.

Upcoming Events:

iTunes Anniversary Event (April)
    NAB Conference (April)
    WWDC (June)
    MacWorld Expo/Tour (Ummmm... Maybe) (July)
    Apple Expo Paris (September)

iPod - April (Update 1) [iTunes Music Event], October (Update 2)
    iBook - May (Update 1), November (Update 2)
    iMac - August/September [Apple Expo Paris]
    PowerMac - June [WWDC]
    PowerBook - June (Major Transition to Dual-Core G4 or Single G5) [WWDC]
    Mac mini - August/September [Apple Expo Paris]

Mac OS X Tiger - End of May or June [WWDC]
    iLife/iWork/Final Cut Express - January 2006 [MacWorld Expo]
    Final Cut/DVD Studio - April [NAB]

And most important...

BTO iPod Socks - April [iTunes Music Event]
    Choose your own color, texture, and selection! :p
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Hard to say this year. Seems all the big updates happened in 2004. I do wish for at least a 3GHz dual G5 this fall. I'm looking to replace my aging dual G5 1.8Ghz tower with something faster.
  9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    The clickwheel was a much need improvement to the iPod line, but I don't see how Apple can improve it much more unless they include a color screen standard (and somehow keep the current size). Longer battery life, new earphones, new remote, etc are all realistic possibilities.

I don't expect the iPod line's form factor to be redesigned until 2006.
  10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    I'm hoping for redesigned floppy drives for my Apple 2e -- man these things are slow!
  11. nerdykarim macrumors member

Feb 14, 2005
    atlanta, ga
    how likely do you really think this is? i'm thinking about "making the switch" to a 12" pb next week or so, and i can probably wait until then, even though i don't really want to.

can i get anyone else's feedback on this one? thanks!
  12. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    I say an iPhone at WWDC '05 will be released.* ;) :)

*this comment is a joke.
  13. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    I believe a ThinkSecret article states that internal information has said that this might be the last PBG4 update before a PBG5 release at WWDC '05.

Apple likes to sidetrack users and the industry with they comments. I don't believe they are sleeping, however just waiting on the low powered G5 chips that are due to release Q1 2005. a 3 month testing period should be more then enough. Maybe even an HD 17" screen to give the PB line worth the "Power" name. ;) :)

Mobile SATA is a given at this point. :)
  14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    The problem with "realistic speculation" is that Apple sues you... ;) :D

I would like to see something new and spectacular in the two portable lines, but I try not to get my hopes up already in mid-February, when WWDC is still more than 20 weeks away...
  15. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I agree with this so much I sold my 3G pod for a 4G and the 3G was perfectly functional.
  16. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2005
    I hope they upgrade the iPod from the current 2.5G (all it is is an improvement on the 2G)...hopefully we can see a REAL 4G iPod
  17. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    I never really considered the 3G iPods "functional". You can only use them with 2 hands or get severe hand cramps. :D

My brother's/mine broke about 2 days after the new 4G ones where introduced. We were lucky. :)
  18. chanoc macrumors 6502

May 20, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    An updated Mac Mini, with a 64MB video card and 1.67GHz G4 - maybe. :)
  19. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

Jan 24, 2005

The 3G were sooo easy to use one handedly..the 2.5G you really need to stretch your thumb to be able to push down the ClickWheel. Definatley needs improvement for the (real) 4G.
  20. karabunga macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    so you guys thing that upgraded powermacs will only be introduced at WWDC not like in the next 2 or 3 months? Cause it has been a while since they have announced any change to them. Any other opinions on this?
  21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    That would make my day!The perfect consumer machine! I would say just a product shuffle with a 2.3 powermac dual and a base 2.0 single and then 2.0 dual with still a 2.5 liquid cooled beast. I dont think we will see a dual 3.0 anytime soon. This with a early Tiger release say in Late march or early April. Thats what i see in the crystal Ball.