What to expect by Mac OS 10.7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TigerPRO, Oct 5, 2003.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

It's interesting to think about what Mac OS X will be like when it reaches version 10.7. I'd like to hear about what you think will be the next [big & drastic] innovative features Apple will come up with. Lets talk about the "drastic" innovations here, not like "spring loaded dock folders". Please keep your posts serious and practical for this thread.

Just in looking at the history of Mac OS X, I see that 10.0 was really not that great, and 10.1 was still greatly lacking. It's almost like Apple had to take a step backward with the Macintosh operating system to take three steps forward (meaning the transition from System 9). In my perception, Mac OS X really became mature with the release of Jaguar. But it still seems like a few other important, but not essential, features (user switching, exposé) are being finished off with Panther.

With this, it's interesting to think about what Apple will do after these "no brainer" features are implemented. There's only so much you can do with an operating system, when you need to really start brainstorming. Unlike Windows, where their new versions can advertise improved security and stability, Mac OS X really is beyond those problems. So what can you do to an operating system after it seems like you've exhausted it's possibilities? That's the question I'd like to hear you folks tackle. Just to get it started, here's three ideas I have:

1. Ground braking, built-in "voice-to-text" engine technology.
    2. Realtime ("true") multitasking (i.e. dual mouse input)
    3. iSight face recognition software for system security.

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I want some serious Star Trek level voice, holographic, and AI algorithmic interfacing. Now that would blow me away.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

screw mice and keyboards, brainwave input. :D I'm serious, by the time 10.7 is released, we'll be looking at early or middle-aged G6's

4. shecky Guest

shecky

*note - not well thought out:

-global syncing. e.g. you can sync not just iCal, Addressbook, etc but you can literally sync the ENTIRE Applications + documents folder across multiple macs so that what you work on at home is IDENTICAL to what you work on at work.

-predictive text input (that WORKS)

-intelligent font management (oh please...please...)

-built in x86 emulation (VPC)

-support for 16 processors :)

-support for fuel cells on portables

-support for multiple native LCD resoloutions (i suppose this is more hardware than OS, but a man can dream)

-support for RedTooth (400 megabit Bluetooth)

-hyperintelligent battery/fuel-cell management for portables, giving real-world 24 hour battery life.

-z-axis motion capture with iSight (does this already exist?)

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Thats assuming we see 10.7

OS 9 only got to 9.2 before it went to 10

What if after Panther a major update will be called OS 11?

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

They will milk the almighty Roman Numeral X for all its worth.

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

OS 11 - XI

LOL... i guess OS "EX" "I" doesn't sound as good....

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How 'bout the return of OpenDoc? Well, maybe not OpenDoc itself, but a return to the idea that you can have a collection of software components and use whichever of them you like in order to build a document. For example, I have many programs that come with a dictionary and spellcheck logic. It would be better if "spellcheck component" vendors competed for my business, I bought the one I liked best, and it was used when I did spellcheck in any type of activity: word processing, e-mail, web forms, instant messaging, etc.

9. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

I KNOW

I'm sure we will see 10.0 - 10.9. Something I've always remembered from the January 2003 keynote, was when Job's told us that OS X will be with us for at least another 10 years. They may call it something new, but they won't being doing anther total rehall of the OS for at least 10 years.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No one should be saying "EX" anyway--it's ten.

I would hope for a fully-revised interface, possibly with 3D-layered windows, all visible on the desktop.

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Millions of dollars invested into marketing Apples next generation OS, and they arbitrarily decide to call is "OS X" as apposed to just leaving it as "OS 10"?

Ya, right - i'm sure no one thought about the fact that it might acctually sound cool, and people would acctually refer to it that way.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I suppose it doesn't matter if they're wrong then...

Anyways, I'd also like to see support for a 3-dimensional GUI.

13. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Computing is not about new apps.. its about using the computer in a easier, far reaching and more effective way.

- iSync syncs files on all devices (ipod/phone/remote ftp servers/multiple computers)

- cleaner and simpler application integration (ical, mail, ichat, address book)

- integrated tv tuner and 5.1 audio

- voice/video chat standard... seamless telephone/fax integration

- wireless internet/networking standard.. rendezvous automatically configures everything..

- longer life batteries (8hr workday) on laptops

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, although we're not back to OpenDoc (which I'd say was one of Apple's most impressive concepts), X is already leaning considerably toward that direction with the combination of Services and easy APIs to use Apple's applications.

For example, I can already install WordServices and allow any text application to handle MS Word files, any application built to use it can use the OS-level spellcheck service (and there's nothing stopping anyone from writing a replacement), and there are plenty of other handy services--Unicode conversion, summarizing, etc.

Combine that with the easy interface to embed the Safari engine into other apps, and you're almost halfway there. If they continue to evolve those two conecpts, we might well find ourselves back at OpenDoc in a roundabout way--it could certainly happen by 10.7.

As far as really interesting stuff, some things that might be cool to see in future X releases would be:

*Lightly 3D interface (I don't want to "fly" through my computer, but if, for example, a background app really did drop a bit into the background, it might be useful).

*Database-based filesystem; this is something along the lines of what MS is working on, and I believe the BeOS had very powerful capabilities along those lines. Might be cool, might not, but it'd be neat to try.

*Auto-healing OS; X is pretty darned stable, but taking that a step farther so it could detect and replace corrupt components or prefs would be cool.

*An advanced, AI-style Sherlock that helps you find what you want (much more advanced than Longhorn's hyped search feature). Could happen.

*Integrated media center--Tivo without any additional non-Apple hardware or software. Not hugely revolutionary, but Apple could make it extra-cool somehow.

*AI Help; anything would be better than the current funky help viewer, but natural language questions with customized answers would be neat-o.

*Built-in distributed computing engine. Sell your spare Gigaflops!

15. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Steve killed opendoc in 97, he said Javabeans could do a better job. I don't know how but it came from Steve though

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'll just drag out an old quote from these forums, it's still relevant :)

17. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

They have already done major updates. Is Panther going to be called 11? No it is not, but yet it has a kernel change and that is the biggest change you can make.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's hardly arbitrary. X is the roman numeral for 10.

As far as things sounding cool when they're mispronounced? Stupidity never sounds cool.

19. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I agree -- we're talking several generations down the road. What, 6-8 years at the current pace? I expect to think "a beer would be nice" and I can walk down to the refrigerator where a nice frosty one has been poured for me at the direction of my Mac. (which, except for the keyboard, is in my pocket)

20. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Popular Concept

It seems like I'm noticing a trend in what people would like to have Mac OS X capable of doing: controlling household devices remotely. I don't think this is that far down the road. In speaking of 10.7 were are looking at about 5-6 years. At this point, I'm sure this could be a reality.

It would be very simple to implement. The household devices would simply need a control chip in them with an airport card. So from your computer, you could send instruction to various objects.

Imagine the revolution this could bring! And it does not seem that far away to me. All we need is widespread consumer support for such functions. Because unless there are more than a couple curious "techies" who would use such technology, Apple will never consider it.

21. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

even better security

I would like to see some of the extra security features available in OpenBSD added to Darwin. In other words, a merger of the best aspects of FreeBSD and OpenBSD with further innovation by Apple.

22. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Re: Popular Concept

??? where have you been all these years?

the software is already available:

homerun:
    http://www.findleystudios.com/homerun/

indigo:
    http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/

23. Ptitboul macrumors newbie

Probably. I hope this won't be later than 10.5. It is a major change from the original Unix paradigm.

I don't think this is a good idea. It would be much better if installing an application could not mess up with the system. And this is relatively easy to do : instead of giving superuser access to the installer, create a new (virtual) user each time you install an application, create the (few) directories needed, owned by this user, and make this user run the installer. You may prefer to give a common user for all applications developped by the same company (e.g. Adobe).
    This is a "sandbox" strategy, and would improve the stability of the system. The system does not need to be repaired, it is not changed.

My problem with the current help system is that the documentation is very incomplete. I would like to have extensive documentation similar to Unix man pages. But this will probably never be in MacOS. This is not a company willing to give power users access to hidden features (e.g. "defaults write com.apple.safari IncludeDebugMenu 1").

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's why those OS X books at Barnes and Noble and free utility programs on Version Tracker are so nice...you can learn how to do those things or have a program for beginners to do it with a nifty window interface. I know the Help system could be better, but it'd be close to impossible to make it as extensive as everyone would like.

25. sparky76 macrumors regular

Better hope 10.7 is cool - I don't think we will have the cool-looking machines by then. The computer should be hidden. No need for a keyboard - voice recognition will be the main input. Also, no need for a screen - every room will have a screen - in the living room it will be a large wall screen which is the TV screen or for movies or for the computer, as required.
    Also, the system will play all the iTunes music all over the house - with multiple streams to different rooms.
    The Mac will also take care of the mundane tasks such as the heating timer, ordering fuel and home security systems. I would be nice to phone the Mac and tell it to turn the heating on.
    Most of this technology is here today. It would just take some visionary at Apple to integrate it into one system.
    Here's hoping.