Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro, 2016 has been a mixed year for Apple. The iPhone 7 was released without a headphone jack, an unpopular choice that's now been somewhat ameliorated by the launch of the AirPods, and the MacBook Pro has been plagued by battery issues, graphics problems, and complaints about the high price of the device.

Apple also saw its first decline in iPhone sales in 2016, but 2017 could potentially turn things around for the company. We're expecting the biggest iPhone revision we've seen since the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launched in 2014, plus we're also expecting major iPad changes, refreshed desktop Macs, and software improvements.

iPhone 8 - September 2017

Rumors about the 2017 iPhone started ramping up before the iPhone 7 was even released, so there's a lot of information out there, and at this point, quite a bit of it conflicts, so it's difficult to get a clear picture of what Apple is planning for the iPhone's 10th anniversary.

If you read all of the rumors and suss out some common themes, there are a few concrete details that hint at what likely to see in the next-generation iPhone. We're assuming it's going to be called the "iPhone 8" due to design changes that are more radical than we'd expect for an "iPhone 7s," but it's entirely possible Apple will go with another name.

It looks like there's going to be at least three iPhone models, and one of those will have an OLED display. It's sounding like we're going to get one premium OLED iPhone somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 inches, with either a flexible curved display that wraps around the edges like the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or an edge-to-edge display more in line with the current design of the iPhone 7.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: What to Expect From Apple in 2017: iPhone 8, 10-Inch iPad Pro, Refreshed iMacs, and More

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Potentially big year for Apple. At the risk of sounding like an Apple hater (not my intention), when you let most of your product lines wither on the vine for long enough, you can update them all in one year and come out looking like a rockstar. Maybe that's what they'll do in 2017?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I expect disappointment still hope for pleasant surprises.

I think the Mac Pro will get a spec bump but no redesign or price drop, both of which I think it needs.

I'm not excited about the iPhone rumours at all, but the SE is the best thing Apple did in the last year IMHO so I'm ok with that for now.

Might buy a Watch if they update them, but I can still wait.

Last edited:

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I'm an Apple fan but not nearly as much as I was in years past. I'll still rock their phones but when it comes to my next laptop, it's getting harder to root for Apple with competition heating up. With them dropping their Airport routers just gives me another reason to look elsewhere. I'm not into Apple jewelry or gimmicks to be honest.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Regarding the new 10.5" iPad, I'm reposting a comment I made last summer in response to a rumor of Apple introducing 10.5" ipad and cancelling the Mini:
----------------

I question their prediction that if Apple offer a 10.5" iPad they will EOL the 7.9" Mini, which would leave a gaping hole in their mobile device lineup from 5.5" to 10.5" while introducing a clusterfck from 9.7" to 12.9".

The more sensible and likely course is for Apple to EOL the 9.7" iPad Pro. But that's the most popular one, you say? Indeed, but it must go to make way for progress! Consider the current lineup (area and ppi calculated with this groovy website):

pre-update.png

First, appreciate the vast increase in display area of the iPad Mini over the iPhones; at over twice the display area of a 6+ the iPad Mini's web browsing and photo/video experience is in another class.

Next, consider the next logical upgrade to the 9.7" Pro: pixel density. All of Apple's devices below it exceed 300 ppi, so it's the next economically feasible tablet to boost to a glorious 325 ppi. Fanboys argue that if you hold the 9.7" Pro at arm's length like some old geezer in need of new reading glasses then a higher pixel density doesn't matter. They're full of bullpuckey. When viewing an image or graph it's natural to lean in to scrutinize detail so according to experts there are benefits up to around 500 ppi. Compare the detail on the 5.5" iPhone to the 4.7" iPhone and ppi difference is rather obvious under close but not abnormally close viewing.

So why not just bump the 9.7" Pro to ~326 ppi and call it good enough? Because Apple like to keep it simple for developers. The Apple way is to borrow a pre-existing screen resolution for the pixel density upgrade as they did when the Mini was jacked to the same resolution as the iPad Air. Thus the prediction writes itself: the upcoming iPad will feature the Pro's 2048 x 2732 resolution with ~326 ppi, which results in a display size of 10.5", exactly the size reported by those analysts with supply chain sources. The new lineup is thus:

post-update.png

A nice separation of iDevice sizes with consistently high pixel density on all but the top end. All with a bigger iPad but no new resolution to which developers must adapt their apps.

About that iPad Mini - do Apple continue to use it as a dumping ground for obsolete SOC inventory and give it the runt of their litter of iPad displays? Or do they finally take it seriously by dropping in a current SOC and the same display tech as the larger iPads, all at a more serious price?

mccaffertee

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2014
Orlando, FL
Potentially big year for Apple. At the risk of sounding like an Apple hater (not my intention), when you let most of your product lines wither on the vine for long enough, you can update them all in one year and come out looking like a rockstar. Maybe that's what they'll do in 2017?
And if they don't do-it like a rockstar, it'll make my decision to bail and move to Android all that much easier. This is the year I would be upgrading my MacBook Pro and Phone.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Iphone 8 Ceramic OLED, only $1999, 9999$ for the gold edition! Tons of covers ranging from $299 to $799!

Iphone 7s, now in mat white and we made it 20% faster!

hmm 299 for a case, not bad considering the phone is 1999

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Just go ahead and say it: there will never be a new Mac Pro or Mac Mini.

Tearing off the band-aid is better than dragging things out.

Apple prefers dragging things out so they can say when the day finally comes and they make it "official" that you guys shouldn't be surprised, you saw this coming a mile or two away. It's also called keeping your options open (for Apple).

Reactions: Borin and 0958400

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
14" MacBook
Aka 13" MBP without TouchBar that a) is cheaper, b) thinner and lighter, c) has the same battery life, and d) has a larger, aka 14" screen. Did I get that right? Or do want the 12" MB CPU in a 14" body, priced maybe $200 above the 12" MB with a similar thickness and battery life as the 12" MB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.