What to get 933mhz or Dual 867mhz??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by djniche, Aug 15, 2002.

1. djniche macrumors regular

My dell will be on sale soon and will be replaced by a new powermac. which should I get a 933mhz or the new dual 867mhz?? The new changes to the new powermacs are big enought to pay more for it?

933mhz has the superdrive, same graphics card with more ram
    same Hard drive

867mhz dual! DDR Ram, combo drive, jaguar

any thoughts would help.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The SuperDrive is great, no matter which machine hosts it.

Did you look at the applications which are multi-processor aware? It's on Apple's web site within the new PowerMac pages. If you see software you'll be using or think you'll be using, you should seriously consider the dual processor. Java should be better on dual processors because Java threads are Mach threads and will be split amongst the processors.

I suspect that more games, like those from id, will become multi-processor-aware as time goes on. You might also want to consider that.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

You will be quite happy with the dual processor mod, as OS X just endores dual processor apps. A single processor is fast, but the real power comes from double trouble, as bousozoku pointed out. :eek: :D :p

Enjoy your new Mac. :cool:

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Ok i was under the impression the OS X itself was dual processor aware. Because of this it doesn't matter if the program itself is written for 2 procs or not. I know OS 9 was dependent on the program to determine if it was 1 or 2 procs. correct me if i am wrong

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Plain and simple: OS 9 did not support dual processors completely. You may have gotten a 3 or 4 percent increase on dual processors with OS 9. If you have your MacWorld magazine ready, featuring the two 500MHz G4 PowerMacs, and read the cover story, you will understand it better.

If I remember correctly, OS 9 simply doesn't distribute data correctly among the two processors. OS X fixes this problem and evenly distributes the data. I think that was why the updated PowerMacs to 733MHz came in just single processor mods, since OS X wasn't really around when the first dual procs came about.

Now, with OS X everywhere, imagine the power with a dual processor. :eek:

6. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Dual

I would get the Dual, it's almost a steal all things considered, and in the long run it should help you out. OS X is dual processer aware or whatever and everything in OS X gets a speed bump with duals. Also, anything you will do in Photoshop or other Adobe products will certainly help. Just my 2 cents.

7. djniche thread starter macrumors regular

excellent points of the dual advantages and I will use most of adobe and macromedia programs. The Clarendon store says they have the new powermacs I wonder if they have jaguar built in? eventhough is before the 24th