What to get for a laptop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingcrowing, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Yeah, another one of theses, you know the drill, what would you reccomend?
    iBook 12" 1.33Ghz
    Combo Drive
    100GB HD
    Add my own 1GB stick for a total of 1.5GB
    $1300 (student discount)

pBook 12" 1.5GHz
    Super Drive
    1.25GB RAM (1GB of my own)

pBook 15" 1.5GHz
    512MB (I will upgrade eventually, 2GB is like $230)

$1800 is like my max, but i like the backlight KB as i use my laptop at night with low to no other lighting, i also like the bigger screen size, i currently have an 800MHz iBook G4 W/256MB
  2. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    My opinion...

Wait another week or two. There's really no sense in buying a PB now, when upgrades are rumored to be coming in the next couple weeks.

Other than that though... the backlit keyboard isn't a necessity. It's purely cosmetic, rather than functional because in the dark most of the keyboard will be illuminated by the monitor. It certainly looks -cool-, but don't get it just because of that.

If it were me (and I'm not saying this is what you should do) and I needed one of those options -now-, I'd go for the iBook and spend the extra $500 (well, $394 to be exact) on a Dell 20005fpw. You get more screen real estate than just the 15" alone, and the 12" iBook just has more bang-for-the-buck value than the 12" PB.

EDIT #1: Oh, and since you're considering the ibook and the 15" with the combo, it seems to me that the superdrive isn't exactly a necessity for you.. making the 12" pb less desirable versus the 12" ibook from that standpoint also.

EDIT #2: One more thing. :) Consider only upgrading the HDD on the ibook only up to 60 or 80GB. That $135 difference going from the 60 to the 100, that could instead go to a nice external HDD that will give you much more room than the 100GB would alone. Even upgrading only to the 80GB saves you $90, which when you combine that with the $100 left over after buying the 20" dell leaves lots of money for buying and external HDD or DVD-burner (if you really need it).
  3. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    ibook is the better value and you'll get longher battery life as well.
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    the backlight keyboard is waste, it looks cool but i think its not functional. The 12" PB seems ideal and then get an external monitor, if not then the 15" PB
  5. iAFC macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    sul do brasil
    If it were me, I would pay $1299 and get an iBook 14" w/ SuperDrive, 60 GB hard disk and faster processor. Oh man, it really rocks.
  6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    I agree with those recommending you wait; updates to the PBs "feel" close.

I disagree that the backlit keyboard is useless. I find mine to be extremely helpful during presentations or other times when the room is very dark. However, I would agree that this should probably be the *last* consideration for buying a new laptop :)
  7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I would go definitely go 15" Powerbook, but I would wait and see if they are updated.
  8. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i would go with the 15"er. it offers portability and power. you should hopd off for a little while longer though.